Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia has appealed to the people of Chereponi in the North East Region to give peace a chance and live in harmony with each other.
Speaking at the Paga Central Mosque on Saturday 25th May, 2019, Vice President Bawumia deplored the latest outbreak of violence, saying such occurrences thwart efforts at comprehensive nation building.
Police have confirmed the death of two persons following renewed clashes between Chokosis and Konkombas around Chereponi and Saboba.
A number of people also sustained various degrees of injury.
The Vice President, who was in the Upper East Region as part of his nationwide Ramadan Tour, urged the feuding factions to look beyond parochial interests and work together to bring lasting peace to the area.
“I would like to make an appeal to our brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers in Chereponi. You know there have been some disturbances there recently. We are all one. We are really all one. Whether you are Konkomba, Mamprusi, Chokosi, we are one people. Our only enemy is poverty. Let us fight poverty and let us not fight each other; that is what I would like to tell our brothers and sisters.
“Ghana is big enough for all of us. Let us respect each other, let us work together and let us beat poverty together.”
Vice President Bawumia had earlier performed the Zuhr prayers at Tempane and Asr prayers at Garu as part of the latest leg of his nationwide Ramadan Tour. He urged Muslims to jealously guard the peace Ghana enjoys, especially the peaceful co-existence between persons of different faiths.
Ghana, he emphasised, is large enough to hold persons of differing faiths, and urged all to contribute their quota to nation building.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Multimedia Group's Richard Kwadwo Nyarko selected as Africa fact-checking fellow
- Newspaper headlines: Tuesday, June 25, 2019
- Aggressive seagulls keep couple hostage in their own home for six days
- Zongo chief takes on UEW Vice Chancellor over discord at university
- Video: Meet Sarafina, the 16-year-old anti-child marriage campaigner
- Paris planning flying taxis by 2024
- NSMQ2019 one-eighth stage: Day 1 thrills as KSTS, Porters are sent packing
- Special Feature on 1V1D: Complaints by communities gov’t should not ignore
- Archbishop Porter Girls bundled out of NSMQ2019
- Anas exposes ‘pastor’ allegedly forcing orphan to eat own poop
- Hotline Documentary: Killing our roses (III) – The Aftermath
- NSMQ2019: Presec restores contest to factory setting after R1 loss
- Water tariff goes up by 8%
- NSMQ2019: Pope John get KSTS revenge to qualify for quarterfinals
- 4 Gov’t officials in road crash; 3 in critical condition