Controversy is brewing in the Ketu South Municipality of the Volta Region over the nomination and approval of Pascal Lamptey as the Municipal Chief Executive.
Party executives and assembly members are accusing each other of manipulation before and after voting which failed to approve the president’s nominee, Mr. Lamptey.
A second round of voting would be held Monday, but ahead of that, Joy News' correspondent Ivy Setordjie reports that new government appointees have been nominated by the assembly to approve the President’s ‘nominee, a situation some assembly members are against.
She said the changes were made because it is believed that the former appointees failed by not voting to approve the government's nominee.
Mr Marshal Ackumey, NDC Constituency Chairman, alleged the new appointees are people close to the Member of Parliament of the area, Fiifi Kwetey, who is also in support of Mr Lamptey's nomination.
Mr Ackumey said "When you look at these names, you realize that all the new appointees are people who are very close to the Member of Parliament. Why is it that the Constituency Executives are never consulted on issues like this."
Some Assembly Members also lamented that constituents are "being taken for granted for their perceived ignorance, gullibility or blind loyalty to the NDC."
The Volta Region Minister Afotey Agbo who was commenting on the controversy said government appointees can be changed anytime when necessary.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Gov’t to write to diplomats over ‘false’ Mahama videos
- New regions won’t add to your legacy – Bentil tells prez to prioritise infrastructure dev’t
- Veep reiterates gov’t’s resolve to improve Zongos
- Governance expert pushes for law on selection of regional capitals
- Mahama urged to submit his evidence to Emile Short Commission
- Hot Video: Joy News Editorial: Short Commission - Same questions, different responses
- Parliament summons Interior Minister over recent children assaults
- Mahama's election bid hit with suit
- Suhuyini accuses Speaker of unfair treatment
- #GhanaConnect: Citizens ‘scared’ by witnesses’ accounts at Short C’ssion
- Mahama acted appropriately, deal with NPP thugs - Osafo Maafo told
- Dambai is capital of new Oti region
- Brong Ahafo to be known as Bono Region
- Sefwi Wiaso is capital of Western North region
- Joint CDD-Ghana, CODEO delegation in Nigeria