Majority Leader, Alban Sumana Bagbin has chastised Ghanaians for having a high tolerance level for corruption - something he says makes it difficult to deal with the canker.
He says the culture and beliefs of Ghanaians make it difficult to totally deal with the situation.
The outspoken Member of Parliament made these comments when he delivered a lecture at the University for Development Studies in Wa in the Upper West Region.
He said family members of people elected into public office tend to think that resources belonging to the state belong to them. This is because they feel “it is our turn to ‘chop’”.
They, therefore, constantly put pressure on them and make outrageous demands, making the tendency for public officials to take what does not belong to them very high.
He said corruption is pervasive and a global trend and it was wrong for people to think that it was a bi-product of authoritarianism.
He indicated the country will not develop if the phenomenon of corruption continues to pervade every facet of the society.
Mr. Bagbin also said politicization of corruption has further made it difficult to robustly fight the menace.
“We now have the politicisation of corruption and the corruption of politics. Anytime there is a report, or finding that Mr A is suspected of corruption, we put a party colour on him, it is because he is NDC or NPP.
This development, according to him, is a killer and everything must be done to stop it.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Ghana Airport Company MD removed
- My exit from BoG escalated activities of Menzgold - Fmr Deputy Governor
- Jasikan hyped as preferred capital for Oti Region
- Undercover investigator killing: Gov't charges police to speed up investigations
- NDC agrees to revise presidential primaries guidelines
- Video: NDC, NPP lock horns over Menzgold
- NDC diverted 100 vehicles meant for Education Ministry for party activities
- Gov’t should have objected to NAM1 sponsoring Ghana Premier League - NDC
- Gov't endorsement of NAM1 enhanced his credibility - NDC
- Mahama, wife don’t have investments with Menzgold - Joyce Bawah
- NDC postpones flagbearer election
- Help us end chieftaincy disputes – Ga Traditional Council pleads with Akufo-Addo
- NDC MPs supporting Mahama out of gratitude - Bagbin
- NAM 1 arrest: More questions than answers
- Ablakwa wants bi-partisan parliamentary inquiry into Menzgold saga