The Minority is unimpressed with the Akufo-Addo-led administration’s first two years in office.
Today, Monday, January 7 is exactly two years since Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo took over the reins of the country after a third attempt at the presidency.
He won the 2016 polls by an astounding 53.83 percent – one million more votes ahead of former president John Mahama.
The president was sworn into office on January 7, 2016
His presidency came with many promises of jobs, Free SHS, One district, one factory, One district, One Dam, One District, One $1 million and many others.
But halfway through his tenure as president, the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) believes the country is retrogressing.
Minority Leader Haruna Iddrisu described the two years as one that has been full of “significant failures in many aspects of governance and the management of the economy.
“We have seen the president forcefully introduce Free SHS when the country is yet to achieve free compulsory universal basic education where literacy and numeracy are significant and important in the development of human capital,” he added.
The Free SHS programme was implemented during the 2017/2018 academic year
The Tamale South MP said the lack of planning as regards the Free SHS has seen the government struggle to adequately fund and finance the programme which in his view will result in the churning out of half-baked students.
He is appalled at the investments made in the country’s infrastructure for poverty alleviation.
He finds it surprising that although the Akufo-Addo-led administration is the largest in the history of the Fourth Republic, nothing seems to be working.
For him, the large number of the government pays no respect to the public purse, and most of the offices are clearly engaged in an exercise of duplication and redundancy.
“We don’t need a Ministry for Special Initiatives,” he added.
In a whole, Mr Iddrisu believes the Akufo-Addo-led administration has failed to live up to expectation.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- New regions will have highest calibre of staff – Local gov’t head
- NDC in fresh haggle with NPP over time, venue for militia meeting
- Militia meeting: NPP finally agrees to NDC's wider participation proposal
- Gov't firms up deals for Agric mechanization, Yendi Water Projects
- Step back from vigilante groups, Kofi Abotsi counsels NPP, NDC
- Long hours of parliamentary sittings health risk–Muntaka
- NDC disappointed Kwabena Adjei - Rawlings
- "It is misjudgment" - Minister-designate withdraws NDC Mahindra claims
- "The President must wake up!" – Baako fires
- Leaked NDC tape: Ampofo charges reduce, Gyamfi and Boahene added
- Violence not path for resolving conflict, Gov't to feuding Chereponi factions
- I’ll set up gold museum in Western Region – Tourism Minister-designate
- President assents to Civil Aviation Amendment Bill
- Militia confab: President’s response unfortunate - Sammy Gyamfi
- The Bible knows no biased prophet like Owusu Bempah – John Mahama