Joshua Bortey has been approved as Municipal Chief Executive for Krowor Assembly in the Greater Accra region after two failed attempts.
The vote, which took place on Wednesday, was however marred by accusations of intimidation.
Three assembly members of the municipality who would have taken part in the vote were arrested Tuesday afternoon by police and detained for allegedly destroying some billboards within the municipality in 2018.
The detention of the trio: Alfred Nii Ahinsah Laryea, Oko Odiko and Lawrence Borquaye, who are members of the opposition NDC, is politically motivated, according to the National Organiser of NDC, Joshua Akamba.
Mr. Akamba told Joy News’ Ernest Manu that his sources tell him the arrests are orders from above.
The NDC believes their members were arrested to prevent them from participating in the vote to confirm or reject Mr. Bortey – President Nana Akufo-Addo’s nominee after his two failed attempts.
A third failure would have barred him from another bid. He won Wednesday morning’s vote with a unanimous 9-0 decision.
“I’m unaware of any arrests”
Speaking to Joy News after the vote, the MCE elect, noted that he is not aware that any members of the assembly are in police custody.
“No, I am not aware of that,” he stated.
He added that he is ready to unite the assembly and work with all parties.
Joshua Bortey in a celebratory regalia
He stated that he has identified some problems which he hopes to work on as DCE. “The main problems are drains and roads…” he said.
Arrested 3 granted bail
Meanwhile, Joy News understands that the three have been arraigned before court and have been granted bail early Wednesday morning.
According to the Krowor Constituency Chairman of the NDC, the parties will come together to see how the problem will come to a closure.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- New regions will have highest calibre of staff – Local gov’t head
- NDC in fresh haggle with NPP over time, venue for militia meeting
- Militia meeting: NPP finally agrees to NDC's wider participation proposal
- Gov't firms up deals for Agric mechanization, Yendi Water Projects
- Step back from vigilante groups, Kofi Abotsi counsels NPP, NDC
- Long hours of parliamentary sittings health risk–Muntaka
- NDC disappointed Kwabena Adjei - Rawlings
- "It is misjudgment" - Minister-designate withdraws NDC Mahindra claims
- "The President must wake up!" – Baako fires
- Leaked NDC tape: Ampofo charges reduce, Gyamfi and Boahene added
- Violence not path for resolving conflict, Gov't to feuding Chereponi factions
- I’ll set up gold museum in Western Region – Tourism Minister-designate
- President assents to Civil Aviation Amendment Bill
- Militia confab: President’s response unfortunate - Sammy Gyamfi
- The Bible knows no biased prophet like Owusu Bempah – John Mahama