Former WBO World super bantamweight titlist, Isaac "Royal Storm" Dogboe, is reportedly closing in on a deal for a rematch with Mexico's Emanuel Navarrete in the second quarter of 2019 which is expected to be featured on Top Rank’s programming on ESPN.
According to Ringtv.com, Dogboe will be hoping to avenge a painful loss on December 8, 2018, that ended his eight-month reign as world champion having snatched the title from Jessie Magdaleno.
Dogboe (20-1, 14 KOs) lost unanimously to Navarrete (26-1, 22 KOs) in the Ghanaian's second title defence of his WBO World super bantamweight belt on December 8 in New York.
Dogboe (20-1, 14 KOs) was a rising star before he met Navarrete after displaying vast power in his last three bouts prior to the loss. He stopped Cesar Juarez in five rounds to earn the title shot, then knocked out Jessie Magdaleno in a breakthrough performance on ESPN to claim the belt.
The 24-year-old defended it with a first-round stoppage victory over Hidenori Otake in September and earned a long-term contract with Top Rank.
Dogboe will need to avenge his loss to Navarrete to continue with the plans Top Rank had to develop him into an attraction in the coming years.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Senegal v Algeria: kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- Ghana to face South Africa in AFCON 2021 qualifying
- Amaju Pinnick dismissed as Caf vice-president
- Mikel Obi retires from international football
- A fifth “All-African Coaches” AFCON final
- Juventus sign De Ligt on five-year deal
- AFCON 2019: Ighalo hands Nigeria bronze
- Atletico Madrid sign Tottenham defender Kieran Trippier
- Kotoko midfielder Kwame Bonsu completes move to Esperance
- CAF adopts one-leg finals for club competitions
- Real Zaragoza sign Raphael Dwamena from Levante
- Caf expands Women's AFCON to 12 teams
- Tunisia v Nigeria: kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- Blatter labels Samoura's Caf move 'colonialist'
- Pernell Whitaker was unique - Eddie Pappoe