Personnel of the Fisheries Enforcement Unit (FEU) Western Command comprising of the Marine Police, Navy, and the Monitoring Control Surveillance has arrested a fisherman at Atuabo landing beach in the Western Region for disregarding the closed season directive.
The FEU team on arriving at the beach found a monofilament dragnet at the seashore wet with salty water and fresh fish entangled in it which suggested that the Fishers just came from the sea.
Inspector Wonder Kpedator, who led the team, said when the fishers saw the team proceeding to their area, they bolted.
“No one was found with the suspected Fishing net, however, those around the area when confronted deny any knowledge about the net”.
When the FEU team was loading the illegal net into their vehicle, suspect Kwaw Tanikyie of Atuabo came to claimed ownership of the said net and when challenged why they disregarded the Minister’s directives and Fishing during the period of the closed Fishing season, the suspect could not give any tangible reason and was arrested.
He was handed over to the Atuabo Police for further investigation and necessary action.
The FEU team found a similar monofilament dragnet at the shore of Beyin wet with salty water and fresh fish found in it.
The fishers were confronted after which residents mentioned one Uncle Benzile as the owner of the suspected fishing net.
The said nets were kept at the Fisheries Office in Half Assini for safekeeping and the fresh fish found in the suspected net were preserved for evidential purposes.
Intelligence gathered indicates similar incidents take place at night in areas such as Asante, Essiama, Effasu, Newtown, Anumatuapim, and Ankobra.
The above-mentioned communities suspected to have been doing similar illegalities should be checked day and night to minimize their criminal activities Corporal Agyemang with the marine police recommended.
- Effia Nkwanta Regional Hospital confirmed Takoradi woman was never pregnant – Police
- I’ve relocated because of royalty issues in Ghana – Kwaw Kesse
- Check out where to receive 1st and 2nd doses of Covid-19 vaccine from Sept. 24 to 29
- Prophet in court for allegedly sexually molesting 3 teenage boys
- We’re working to recognise Ghana’s vaccine certificate as soon as possible – UK
- Playback: GFA unveils Milovan Rajevac as Black Stars head coach
- Win AFCON 2021, qualify for World Cup 2022 for $600k – GFA tells Milovan Rajevac
- Tweneboah Kodua SHS authorities accused of negligence leading to death of final year student
- Covid-19: GHS to start immunisation exercise for unvaccinated citizens on Friday
- Kenkey price doubles as maize prices soar; Agric Minister assures stability soon
Ghana has spent over $4 million on head coaches since Milovan Rajevac first left
Getting D7 in WASSCE should not be a barrier to tertiary education – Education Minister
Getting D7 in WASSCE should not be a barrier to accessing tertiary education – Education Minister
‘Otanipole’ Concept: Ghana encouraged to employ the use of plastic tires to reduce accidents
The return of Milovan Rajevac: A nostalgic or technical appointment?
God wouldn’t have made Adam sleep, if he wanted man to understand a woman – Joy FM Listener
Mentoring: An empowering virtuous circle
Asokwa Municipal Assembly endorses Akwannuasa Gyimah for second term as MCE
Milo has the full respect of Black Stars players – Kurt Okraku
Tarika, Origin8 launch EBIMS-airwatch
Rotary clubs refurbish Ankaful prison annex infirmary
I have the final say on national team invitations – Milovan Rajevac
We’re working to recognise Ghana’s vaccine certificate as soon as possible – UK
Black Stars could’ve won 2010 World Cup – Milovan Rajevac
Clemento Suarez, Gladys Owiredu to host GOWA 2021