Audio By Carbonatix
Construction works on the Tema-Aflao highway resumed on April 7, 2025, after a 15-month suspension, but fresh concerns are emerging over delayed funding that could threaten the project’s smooth execution.
Contractor BHM International, responsible for the 17-kilometre stretch between the Kpone-Barrier and the Central University campus at Miotso, says the $105 million loan facility earmarked for the project has still not been reinstated.
Client Relations Manager at BHM International, Wisdom Adonoo, speaking to JoyNews after a visit to check progress of work warns that the longer the delay persists, the greater the risk of slowing down or even stalling progress which is scheduled for completion in 18 months.

“We are still waiting for the loan to be reinstated. In the meantime, we are working in good faith based on the minister’s assurance in April, and we are committed to delivering this project on time. But the longer the funds delay, the more difficult it becomes to execute the work as required by contract.”

A visit to the site shows significant improvements compared to five months ago. On the Tema-to-Aflao side, contractors have expanded the road by adding more lanes.

Most sections have already been filled and opened to traffic during peak hours, easing congestion that road users previously complained about.
On the Aflao-to-Accra side, excavation is still ongoing across several stretches, with heavy trucks and machinery actively at work.

BHM says the next phases include stabilisation, stone base pavement, asphalt, and pedestrian walkways, along with the completion of four planned flyovers, three of which already have structures erected.

Beyond funding, compensation for affected residents and traders remains a challenge. According to the Public Relations Officer Pastor Samson Allotey, out of 1,131 people identified for compensation, 842 have so far been paid, representing about 74.5%. Roughly half of those compensated have relocated to allow for construction, but the remaining yet to be compensated threatens work on section of the road.
“We urge government to expedite compensation for the remaining affected persons. Until payments are made and relocations completed, clearance for construction in some areas will remain an issue,” he said.
Latest Stories
-
Restoring GN Savings and Loans will be difficult after years of asset disposal — Dr Kweku Ndoum
6 minutes -
Misrepresentation of GN Bank’s financial position led to collapse – Dr Kweku Nduom
17 minutes -
Collapse of GN Bank led to loss of over 4,500 jobs — Dr Ndoum
25 minutes -
Arrest and denial of bail being used to intimidate opposition voices — Egyapa Mercer
29 minutes -
GN Savings & Loans: Banking sector clean-up could’ve been managed better – Bobby Banson
48 minutes -
National Chief Imam urges Ghanaian pilgrims to uphold discipline and unity ahead of 2026 Hajj
53 minutes -
Gov’t owed GN Bank GH¢300m in unpaid interim payment certificates before reclassification and license revocation— Dr Ndoum
1 hour -
Fernandes named Premier League player of season
1 hour -
BoG failed in its supervisory role in GN Bank crisis — Senyo Hosi
1 hour -
Mahama cuts sod for Bole College of Education, unveils major development projects for Savannah Region
2 hours -
NDC tightens control over media representation
2 hours -
GN Savings licence revocation came as a shock – Dr Kweku Ndoum
2 hours -
GN Bank was not insolvent before downgrade and licence revocation – Kweku Ndoum
2 hours -
US tells foreigners seeking green cards: Return to your countries to apply
2 hours -
Trump says he will not attend son Donald Trump Jr.’s wedding
2 hours