Princess Kumi, 11-year-old girl from the Prang RC Primary School in Pru West was named the overall best student, out of a thousand students from the Bono East region.
She was recognised at the Bono East regional celebration for the Girls in ICT programme.
This event was held at the Techiman campus of Valley View University. She went home with three thousand cedis, a plaque, a laptop and a personal cash donation from the Minister for Communications and Digitalisation, Madam Ursula-Owusu Ekuful.
The Girls in ICT is an initiative by the International Telecommunication Union that has been enhanced by the government of Ghana through the Ministry of Communications and Digitalisation.
Under the theme, ‘Access and Safety’, this year’s event will be taking place in five regions. Five thousand girls and one thousand teachers will be trained in security. This has become necessary due to the growing concern of cyber security in the country, continent and the world.
The Bono East Region is the first of five regions to host the event this year. Eleven best performing schools will be receiving ICT laboratories from the Ghana Electronic Fund for Communication (GIFEC) as part of their reward in the entire exercise.
The Minister for Communications and Digitalisation, Madam Ursula Owusu-Ekuful thanked parents and teachers for supporting the girls. She encouraged the beneficiaries to continue pursuing their interest in ICT and Science with the aim of becoming experts in the field.
“We thank you all teachers and parents because it’s not all girls that have the opportunity to go through this training. I’m personally delighted by the achievements in the programme so far and I will say kudos to you all” she reiterated.
All the one thousand girls from the region received certificates of participation in the training. The Chairman of the occasion, Oseadeeyo Akumfi Ameyaw IV, urged the government to sustain the programme in order for more girls to benefit. He applauded the government and the Minister for the gesture and requested for more of such programmes to promote the learning and teaching of ICT in the region.
- Ghanaians among dozens sentenced for their roles in Atlanta-based $30m fraud and money laundering operation
- Energy sector debt major contributor of Ghana’s debt unsustainability – World Bank Rep
- Ghana beat Nigeria in final to win inaugural WAFU B U-20 Girls’ Cup
- Former DCE for Nkwanta South laid to rest
- Let us commemorate June 4 Uprising with utmost respect and gratitude – Mahama
- Utah primary schools ban Bible for ‘vulgarity and violence’
- NPP flagbearer race: It will be difficult asking aspirants to sacrifice for another – Joseph Kpemka
- Labour unions request time to mull $2.7bn pension fund restructuring offer
- Ghanaians must speak up against corruption – MFWA
- Woman, 55, killed by hit-and-run driver on Asukawkaw-Dambai highway
- Gender Ministry collaborates with DVLA to provide licenses for persons with disability
- Assin North by-election: NDC accuses NPP, EC of plotting to insert an unqualified candidate’s name in voters register
- Two police officers injured as ghetto boys escape with handcuffs during arrest at Gomoa Nyanyano
- Voltaian Basin Project is the hope of Nothern region and future of Ghana says Yaa Naa
- Civil Service honours Matthew Opoku Prempeh for his ‘outstanding leadership’
- NPA impounds 181,000 litres of crude oil and diesel in Western Region
- School Feeding Programme: Caterers’ arrears from third term of 2022 academic year to be paid next week – Gender Minister
- Government’s initiatives towards youth development ineffective – Dr Zanetor Rawlings
- Theresa Poku of OHU Farms celebrated at Women Icons event in Koforidua
- Messages with a sense of urgency for you to act often a scam – Fraud investigation specialist
- Daboya unrest: 49 suspects granted bail, others to appear in court on Monday
- ECOWAS Court awards 50m CFA against Burkina Faso for unlawful retirement of civil servant
- Playback: The Law discuss tips to avoid falling victim to cyber scams
- NPA impounds 181,000 litres of crude oil, diesel in Western Region
- Tiananmen Square: Hong Kong police make arrests on anniversary of massacre