Government has constructed 19 kilometres (km) of drains and further excavated, re-channelled and maintained approximately 1000 km under the Drainage and Flood Management Programme.
The Works and Housing Minister, Francis Asenso-Boakye, disclosed that this is part of efforts to deal with perennial flooding in the country’s capital and other flood-prone areas.
Speaking at a press briefing in Accra on Sunday, he said this forms part of several interventions by government to heighten the country’s resilience to flooding and mitigate flood risk in the country.
“I am happy to inform you that though the Drainage and Flood Management Programme though still ongoing, has culminated in a reduction in the incidence of flooding since 2019.
“Altogether, the programme has completed the construction of 19 km drains while approximately 1,000 km of drains have been excavated, rechanneled and maintained across the country towards reducing the perennial floods,” he said.
Providing details on the construction so far, the Bantama MP said the 19 km of drains include the Kwesimintim drainage project, Haatso drainage project, Madina Reco and Culvert drainage project, Adenta drainage project and the Agbogba Culvert project, among others, with government investing ¢450 million in the last four years to mitigate the incidence of flood in the country.
Meanwhile, the Ghana Meteorological Agency forecast for June, July and August this year predicted some moderate to heavy thunderstorms particularly for the middle to northern sectors of the country.
Providing an update on the country’s preparedness, Mr Asenso-Boakye said his outfit is programmed to implement the 2021 National Flood Control Programme to help curb flooding and provide a quick response to flooding in the country.
- World Bank classifies Ghana as high debt distressed country; debt to GDP to hit 104%
- In pictures: Hundreds rendered homeless at Ashalaja
- While others mocked me, Seidu Agongo offered to help – Kofi Amoabeng
- ‘Suck a breast within October’ – Health expert advises men
- Police on manhunt for man flogging toddler in viral video
- ‘I have unfinished business with Black Stars’ – Milovan Rajevac
- Child Rights International places ¢10k bounty on head of man flogging toddler in viral video
- President’s son loses army post after Twitter spree
- Pay compensation to affected customers – PURC orders ECG
- Joy News’ Joojo Cobbinah, NGO sue government over River Offin menstruation taboo
- 25 killed as bus plunges into gorge in India
- GFA launches Talent Identification and Development Programme
- Illegal miners torture suspected thieves on site
- Suicide is never an option – Funny Face
- #NoToGalamsey:The pledge to put my presidency on the line wasn’t bombast or recklessness – Akufo-Addo
- 2014 World Cup was problematic – Kwesi Nyantakyi
- Driving Schools Association to collaborate with MTTD to clamp down on unregistered drivers
- GOIL donates hospital beds to Asuom Health Centre in Eastern region
- Government not against mining but can’t accept ones that destroy our country – Akufo-Addo
- My government is yet to win galamsey fight – Akufo-Addo
- Global Citizen Festival was successful because of risks taken by organisers – Social Director
- Auctioning of vehicles at Tema Port to go online by end of October, 2022- GRA
- Schools and hospitals in Tetegu shutdown due to flooding situation
- #NoToGalamsey: We have not got the result I was looking for – Akufo-Addo on galamsey fight
- ‘Kotoko and Hearts of Oak collapsed fund meant to support Ghanaian clubs in Africa’- Nyantakyi