Two persons have been arrested in connection with the attacks on the Nkoranza Police Divisional and District Headquarters by some irate youth.

This was disclosed by the Police on Wednesday.

The aggrieved youth were protesting the alleged killing of a 28-year-old trader by the Police.

Their attacks and demand for justice for the deceased, Albert Akwasi Donkor, led to the release of six suspects who were in custody and the destruction of properties at the Police station.

Police responded to the situation and dispatched a security reinforcement from Techiman to deter the youth from throwing stones and clubs at the officers.

In a press release dated May 18, the Police stated that “all other persons involved in perpetrating this barbaric act are being pursued to face justice.”

Meanwhile, the Police Service has increased its presence in the town to protect lives and property.

“The situation is under control and Police have deployed extensively at Nkoranza and its environs. We, therefore, wish to assure all law-abiding citizens to go about their socio-economic activities without fear or hindrance.

“We also thank members of the public for their continuous support and encouragement as we perform our constitutional mandate.”

On Monday, the Nkoranza South MP, Emmanuel Agyekum, gave a blow-by-blow account of how 28-year-old trader, Alber Akwasi Donkor died while in Police custody.

The deceased, who is a footballer and digital television installer, is said to have been picked up from his Nkoranza South home by armed officers at 2:00am on April 24, 2022, in an unregistered vehicle on an anti-armed robbery operation.

The MP while narrating the incident on Joy FM alleged that Albert was killed four hours after he was picked up by the armed Police officers.

He added that after the suspect was murdered, the Police took his body to the Techiman Holy Family mortuary.

After his death, the Police say they have held several engagements with Albert’s family and other relevant stakeholders to respond to their concerns.

Meanwhile, the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Dr. George Akuffo Dampare, has constituted a high-powered delegation led by the Director-General in charge of Administration, COP Christian Tetteh Yohuno, to visit the community on Wednesday, May 18.

“Also, the Police Professional Standards Bureau (PPSB) has commenced an investigation into the incident to ascertain whether the operation was carried out in line with the standard operating procedures of the Service. A team from the PPSB has visited the area in this regard.

“In view of the PPSB investigation, we urge the public to avoid unfounded speculations which have the potential to prejudice the outcome of the ongoing investigation. We wish to assure the good people of Ghana that we are committed to ensuring the safety and security of all and we urge you to support us in the fight against violent crimes in the country,” a Police stated on Tuesday.