Audio By Carbonatix
The NDC Parliamentary candidate for the Efutu Constituency, in the 2020 election, James Kofi Annan has been acquitted of charges of stealing, abetment of crime and dishonestly receiving.
The Court presided over by his worship, Isaac Oheneba-Kuffour said, “the evidence led in the case on the charges of abetment of stealing and dishonestly receiving, leaves much to be desired.”
The Court also said, “the evidence presented by the prosecution could not in any way link the 2nd accused person (James Kofi Annan) to the personality who allegedly stole the cheques and sent someone else to pay them into the 2nd accused person’s Account.”
Adding that, “whatever links there could be to the source of the stolen funds, are so remote and not even apparent on the face of the record."






Background
On March 18, 2020, one Benjamin Ackah, lodged a complaint at the Winneba Police Command that, an amount of GHc100, 000 had been transferred from his Bank Account into a Bank Account belonging to the NDC Parliamentary candidate without his permission,
The Winneba Police Command headed by Chief Superintendent Samuel Asiedu Okanta indicated that the preliminary investigation they conducted turned out that the money was transferred to a Bank Account belonging to James Kofi Annan the NDC Parliamentary candidate.
“After several investigations, we found out that the Bank Account belonged to the NDC Parliamentary candidate James Kofi Annan,” the Police Commander said.
Subsequently, James Kofi Annan was arraigned before the Winneba District Court to answer to charges of stealing, abetment of crime and dishonestly receiving.
After a full trial, the court found that the prosecution had to make a case to sufficiently back its claim/charges. It, therefore, found no need for the lawyers of Mr Annan to open their defence.
He was therefore acquitted and discharged of all the charges.
Following the court ruling, James Kofi Annan who is also President of Human Rights NGO Challenging Heights, commented on his Facebook wall saying… “The court has ruled in favor of my innocence, and I thank God for the exoneration. I also wish to thank all those who believed my story, and kept faith with me, I thank all of you…”
Latest Stories
-
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
36 seconds -
Swimming stakeholders call for legitimate governance and constitutional elections in Ghana Swimming
13 minutes -
Akatsi Police seize suspected cannabis consignment, driver escapes
14 minutes -
EU investment in Ghana reaches $16bn – GIPC’s Boss
47 minutes -
GPSCP II and TCDA partner to boost regulation and investment in tree crops sector
56 minutes -
Ghana, Ethiopia business ties ripe for expansion – GIPC
1 hour -
Ghana-Russia Center signs landmark cooperation agreements at KazanForum 2026
1 hour -
Sankofa Gold Mine, Guangzhou Hozdo partnership signals revival push as Ghana’s Western mining sector heats up
1 hour -
From Snapchat Stories to Snapchat Headquarters: Chef Abbys is taking Ghana to the world one plate at a time
2 hours -
Photos: Vice President commissions 100 new Metro Mass Transit buses
2 hours -
GNFS rescues seven trapped in crash at Peki-Tsiame
2 hours -
GNFS rescues trapped driver after cargo truck overturns at Fante New Town
2 hours -
Photos from JoyNews National Dialogue on youth and climate change
2 hours -
Woman accused of threatening President Mahama granted GH¢1 million bail
2 hours -
One dead, 4 injured in articulated truck collision at Assin Nsuta
2 hours