Cody Gakpo and Davy Klaassen were on the scoresheet for the Netherlands in their win over Senegal in their 2022 World Cup opener.
Gakpo contributed to three opportunities for his teammates before scoring the game’s first goal with his lone attempt, but Frenkie de Jong’s influence on this contest was likely even greater.
The PSV forward rose highest to a lofted pass from the Barcelona midfielder, beating Edouard Mendy to the ball to break the deadlock.
With just seconds away from the final whistle, Mendy parried an effort from Memphis Depay into the path of Klaassen who made no mistake as he scored to double the lead for Loius van Gaal’s side.
Prior to losing, the game against the Netherlands, the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations had never lost their opening game at the World Cup in their previous appearances.
Senegal face Qatar in their next game in Group A while the Netherlands are up against Ecuador who beat the hosts in the opening game of the tournament.
- Petrol, diesel now sell at ¢15.25, ¢15.90 per litre at pumps
- Cedi to remain stable against dollar
- Debt exchange: I don’t want to believe there are conmen in government – Carbonu on pensions
- Bank of Ghana has printed over GH¢50bn in one year – Minority Leader
- Ghana’s economy to rebound in 2024 – IMF
- Akufo-Addo assigns Employment Minister additional responsibility for pensions
- DDE: Labour holds government to ‘exemption to all pension funds’ promise
- Fire kills mother, 2 daughters at Abuakwa
- GRA descends on Melcom over issuance of fake electronic VAT invoices
- Presidency spent GH¢15m on car tyres and batteries between Jan and Sept. 2022 – Ablakwa
- Some public basic schools turning pupils away due to lack of infrastructure – Educationist
- Morocco-Spain: King Mohammed VI and Pedro Sánchez hold telephone conversation
- COVID-19 Funds Misappropriation: “Heads must roll” – SEND Ghana
- COVID-19 Audit Report: Disregard for laid down procedures disturbing – Benjamin Quashie
- A father ‘gone too soon’: Tyre Nichols funeral held in Memphis
- Those in charge of education do not believe in the basic education system – Rev. Isaac Owusu
- School Placement Corruption: Abolish “protocol list” system – GII
- Pope Francis in DR Congo: A million celebrate Kinshasa Mass
- Schools in 6 regions yet to receive any textbooks – Education advocate
- What warranted the payment of Covid risk allowances to staff of Ministry of Information? – Sammy Gyamfi asks
- UniMAC-GIJ to hold 4th inter-faculty lecture
- Playback: PM Express discuss how to fix our schools of shame
- 12 persons arrested for involvement in robbery, murder cases
- Over 65 African researchers have received more than $1.5m for NTD research
- Joy Clean Ghana Campaign: AMA environmental health officers attacked by traders at Agbogbloshie