Twenty-seven people from Nigeria and Niger have been arrested by immigration officers at the Akanu border in the Volta region.
They were caught after they attempted to flee the country to their homeland on Tuesday morning.
The suspects who were all male were being transported in a cargo truck loaded with onions from Accra to Nigeria.
The arrest comes in the wake of the closure of Ghana’s ports and borders by President Akufo-Addo as part of measures to check the spread of Covid-19.
Currently, Ghana has recorded 5,918 confirmed cases of the virus with 31 deaths.
Head of Immigration at the Akanu border, Felix Adzimah said it took the vigilance of his men to intercept the truck.
1,089 foreigners intercepted in Bono Region alone since closure of borders
The Ghana Immigration Service (GIS) has revealed that it has intercepted and repatriated 1,089 foreign nationals who entered the Bono Region since the closure of the country’s borders.
In an interview with Joy News, the Immigration Regional Commander, Charles Yaw Bediako said the Service arrested these illegal migrants at various checkpoints in the region.
Breaking it down, he said GIS officers of Gonokrom has intercepted 62, Nkrankwanta; 221, Sampa; 272, Kofibadukrom; 133, Atronie; 17, Yawhima; 5, Tainso; 65, Abesim; 1, Berekum; 125, Atuna; 63, Kwameseikrom; 125.
He made this revelation to Joy News’ Precious Semevor when the Immigration Service at Kato checkpoint arrested 20 foreign nationals for entering the country illegally.
- Stephen Appiah excludes Asamoah Gyan from his list of best Ghanaian players
- We will not allow any religious group to plunge Ghana into chaos – Muntaka
- Kwabena Agyepong’s NPP membership re-instated
- Manu, who delayed Ghana’s 4x100m baton, had never received one – Coach
- SALL kicks against EC’s decision to amend C.I. for them to vote in 2024
- Former British High Commissioner to Ghana, Craig Murray jailed for contempt in the UK
- Former students of Takoradi Technical University reject certificate
- Customs driver jailed for selling official vehicle
- NSMQ2021: Northern landlords, Tamasco, three others secure tickets for national championship
- Over 10 make-shift structures razed down by fire at Krofrom-Kumasi
Esther Akosua Acheampong Edoo
Ghana has not made progress in agriculture – Edward Kareweh
Police in Ashanti Region gun down one suspected robber
GCB outlines strategy that hinges on 3 pillars
Chinua Achebe’s ‘Things Fall Apart’, ‘No Longer at Ease’ and ‘Arrow of God’ are being adapted for television
Road Safety is a collective and shared responsibility – MTTD
NCCE, Graphic Communication Group to deepen relations
CIMG commits to national development through launch of professional marketing qualifications
No dividend for Unilever shareholders; but company focused on delivering growth
Ghana drops to 95th in 2021 World Happiness ranking
UK government commits to introducing legislation to ban conversion therapy practice
Chief of Defence Staff, two others inducted into office
Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine authorised for administering to children aged 12-15
Playback: Government addresses press on ‘galamsey’ fight
Board chairman of Legon Cities donates to Oti Muslim community