At least three people have been killed after a gunman opened fire at Michigan State University (MSU), police say.
As well as the three victims, police said the suspect had died apparently from a “self-inflicted gunshot wound”.
Another five people were injured in the attack at the main campus in the city of East Lansing late on Monday.
Police described the suspect as “a black male, shorter in stature”. They later said he was 43 years old with no known affiliation to the university.
Students and local residents were told to “shelter in place” during the manhunt.
Police later lifted the order, saying there was “no longer a threat to campus”. They added the suspect had been found off campus. The identities of the victims have not been released.
In photos released earlier, the suspect was wearing a denim jacket, a navy baseball cap and red trainers.
The shooting started shortly after 20:00 local time on Monday (01:00 GMT Tuesday) and sparked a huge manhunt involving hundreds of officers.
The officers who responded to the attack found victims at the Berkey Hall on the campus’s north side, and the adjacent MSU union building.
Students reported on social media that they were hiding. One – Drew Russ, an 18-year-old from Los Angeles – was watching Star Wars with friends at his dorm when a deluge of text messages arrived.
He and everyone on his floor in the dorm, which is about a mile from Berkey Hall, stayed put, he told MSNBC on Monday night.
“I couldn’t believe this was happening on my college campus,” he said.
Another student jumped out of a first-floor window at Berkey Hall, her parents said.
Mike and Natalie Papoulias rushed to the campus on Monday night from Jackson, Michigan, after receiving a call from their daughter, they told local media.
In a text message, the daughter said: “I heard somebody get shot, Mom. It’s terrifying. I could smell the gunpowder.”
A number of ambulances were seen arriving at the scene, and the injured – some believed to be in a life-threatening condition – are being treated in hospital.
“This truly has been a nightmare that we are living tonight,” said Deputy Chief Chris Rozman of the university’s police force.
All campus activities have been cancelled for at least 48 hours. East Lansing lies about 70 miles (112km) north-west of Detroit.
The Michigan shooting is the latest in a growing number of college campus shootings in the US.
In November, three members of the University of Virginia football team were killed on campus, while 10 people were killed in a shooting at Umpqua Community College in Oregon in 2015.
In 2007, 33 people were killed in a shooting at Virginia Tech.
- Nigerian states cut working week to three days
- Special Prosecutor secures court order to arrest Charles Bissue
- Arrest of Prof Frimpong-Boateng disrespectful, tone down – Prof Gyampo cautions Special Prosecutor
- Frimpong-Boateng’s arrest by OSP was lawful – Joseph Kpemka
- Our mission was successful until big-people-sponsored-companies started doing whatever they want – Prof. Frimpong on IMCIM
- Saglemi: Former Housing Ministry Chief Director wheeled to court to face 43 criminal charges
- We need clarification – Bagbin calls for Gyakye Quayson’s name to be retained in Parliament’s records
- I did my job; I tried to make Ghana a better place – Prof Frimpong-Boateng
- Woman dies after eating poisoned chocolates sent by her ex-boyfriend’s jealous lover
- Ken Ansah wins CEO of the Year again but transfers praise to his talented team
- If Funny Face and I get back together, you’d just be the fool – Vanessa mocks naysayers
- EFF joins other Pan African movements to stand with the people of Sudan
- Popular actress opens up about her past: From love to hatred towards her mother
- Ghana Climate Innovation Centre to host the 5th annual Incubating Climate Innovation Symposium
- ‘Sex for grades’ outlawed by Nigeria’s parliament
- Book Review: ‘Her Virginity’; thinking she was loved by the best!
- Camidoh nominated in 2023 BET Awards
- Charles Bissue will not turn himself in despite court order for his arrest – Lawyer
- Wendy Shay thrills music lovers as she gets featured by one of Haiti’s biggest music star, K-Dilak
- Contact NCA if you are without Ghana Card and your SIM has been deactivated – Ursula
- Anthrax outbreak: FDA attributes it to butchers’ disregard for food safety standards
- Fight against galamsey: Residents of Segyemase worried about destruction of their water bodies
- District Education leaders embark on Change Leadership Programme
- Black Stars midfielder Salis Abdul Samed signs one-year contract extension with Lens
- Chelsea reject Emerson Palmieri makes history with Conference League win