Audio By Carbonatix
Health authorities in the Ashanti Region have directed 30 people who have come into contact with the Convid-19 victim in Obuasi to go into self-isolation as part of measures to curtail the spread of the virus.
All such people are being closely monitored by health professionals to determine whether they have been infected in the next 14 days.
Dr. Emmanuel Tinkorang, the Regional Director of Health Services who announced this in Kumasi, said there was no need for fear and panic as authorities put measures in place to contain the virus.
He was addressing the media to provide update on the Region’s preparedness to contain the virus and the response so far on the Obuasi case.
He said the victim was a 56-year-old who returned to the country from the United Kingdom on March 4 and started showing signs of the virus on March 10.
According to him, blood samples of the victim that was taken to the Kumasi Centre for Collaborative Research in Tropical Medicine (KCCR) tested positive, paving way for contact-tracing and other protocols to be rolled out.
The Regional Director said the victim was not acutely ill and currently under close observation as well as his wife and children.
He entreated the general public to remain calm and strictly observe all preventive measures outlined in the risk communication being disseminated by the Regional Health Directorate, adding that, any fear and panic could derail the preventive efforts.
“The good thing is that we have not recorded any indigenous case. All cases recorded so far are imported,” he observed.
Dr. Tinkorang also urged the media to be circumspect in their reportage and stressed the need to disseminate accurate information as key stakeholders in the fight against the virus.
He said the Rapid Response Team was on standby to attend to cases and urged the public to report suspected cases for prompt response.
Latest Stories
-
Man, 20, drowns while helping travellers cross Ghana-Togo border river
13 seconds -
Top 10 online bill payment platforms in Nigeria
5 minutes -
Fire destroys more than 27 wooden structures at Spintex Coastal junction
8 minutes -
GoldBod: Day of reckoning will come – Afenyo-Markin
11 minutes -
In Photos: Defence Ministry welcomes Kenneth Gilbert Adjei as new Defence Minister
21 minutes -
CSA fines EY Ghana GH¢360,000 for providing cybersecurity services without a licence
29 minutes -
Bonsu Baah scores and assists in Al Qadsiah big win in Saudi King’s Cup
29 minutes -
The Galamsey war and GWL’s fictitious and inaccurate rebuttal
43 minutes -
Afenyo-Markin demands answers over alleged GH¢22bn GoldBod loss
43 minutes -
GoldBod ‘Losses’: We’re not ignorant, we know our job – Afenyo-Markin
47 minutes -
GoldBod cannot hide behind agency role to escape accountability – Afenyo-Markin
58 minutes -
‘You don’t get to keep the fees and disown the costs’ – Afenyo-Markin challenges GoldBod
1 hour -
GNPC turns 40, targets oil production recovery and $3.5bn fresh investment
1 hour -
Minority will speak boldly on GoldBod losses despite attacks – Afenyo-Markin vows
1 hour -
Moody’s upgrades EBID rating to B1, citing stronger finances and shareholder support
1 hour