Audio By Carbonatix
Two elderly women, aged 75 and 91, were brutally attacked in the Sigubudwini Administrative Area in Tsomo, Eastern Cape, on Sunday night, 6 June.
The South African Police Service (SAPS) said two suspects entered their home through a window. Only one of the women survived the attack and SAPS is hunting for the perpetrators.
Brigadier Tembinkosi Kinana, the SAPS spokesperson in the Eastern Cape, said the women were asleep together on Sunday night when two unknown suspects entered their house via a window. They allegedly demanded money from the victims before proceeding to rape them.
“During the incident, one of the victims managed to escape for her life to a neighbour’s homestead, whilst leaving the other inside the house where the incident took place,” said Kinana.
When police arrived at the crime scene, they discovered the 91-year-old woman outside the house. Unfortunately, she had already died. SAPS said that they are still not sure what weapon was used in the murder.
“Cases of rape and murder have been registered,” said the spokesperson, adding that the motive for the brutal attack forms part of the ongoing investigation. No arrests have been made yet.
Lieutenant General Ntshinga, the Eastern Cape police commissioner, condemned the “heartless attack” and said SAP will hunt and find the suspects responsible.
“We shall hunt and find them,” said Ntshinga. “It is better that they condition themselves to bid their families goodbye, as the prison is waiting for them.
“Callers may remain anonymous and information received will be treated with the strictest confidentiality,” said Kinana.
Latest Stories
-
Inter-Agency Football Gala: YEA organize event as part of National Youth Month celebration
42 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: St. Francis Xavier deny debutants Pentecost SHS one-eighth spot
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Tamale SHS sweep aside Kalpohin, Wenchi Methodist to reach one-eighth stage
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
3 hours -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Winneba Secondary School holds off Fijai SHS to reach one-eighth stage
3 hours -
KNUST assures staff, public over statute review process amid UTAG concerns
3 hours -
CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Dr Isaac Bampoe Addo passes on
3 hours -
Take post-flood disinfection seriously to prevent disease outbreaks – Environmental Health Officer backs Zoomlion
3 hours -
Zoomlion launches fumigation exercise across 14 MMDAs in Western Region
3 hours -
UTAG-KNUST votes to retain elections for Pro-Vice Chancellors and Deans
4 hours -
Newsfile to discuss nationwide blackouts, GoldBod controversy, galamsey and water quality
4 hours -
Adamus must settle GRA, MIIF and financial institutions liabilities under new turnaround roadmap
4 hours -
Big Chef Season Five returns with Gari Fotor Challenge this Sunday
4 hours -
Gov’t to form 6-member team to supervise Adamus mine turnaround
4 hours