Two elderly women, aged 75 and 91, were brutally attacked in the Sigubudwini Administrative Area in Tsomo, Eastern Cape, on Sunday night, 6 June.
The South African Police Service (SAPS) said two suspects entered their home through a window. Only one of the women survived the attack and SAPS is hunting for the perpetrators.
Brigadier Tembinkosi Kinana, the SAPS spokesperson in the Eastern Cape, said the women were asleep together on Sunday night when two unknown suspects entered their house via a window. They allegedly demanded money from the victims before proceeding to rape them.
“During the incident, one of the victims managed to escape for her life to a neighbour’s homestead, whilst leaving the other inside the house where the incident took place,” said Kinana.
When police arrived at the crime scene, they discovered the 91-year-old woman outside the house. Unfortunately, she had already died. SAPS said that they are still not sure what weapon was used in the murder.
“Cases of rape and murder have been registered,” said the spokesperson, adding that the motive for the brutal attack forms part of the ongoing investigation. No arrests have been made yet.
Lieutenant General Ntshinga, the Eastern Cape police commissioner, condemned the “heartless attack” and said SAP will hunt and find the suspects responsible.
“We shall hunt and find them,” said Ntshinga. “It is better that they condition themselves to bid their families goodbye, as the prison is waiting for them.
“Callers may remain anonymous and information received will be treated with the strictest confidentiality,” said Kinana.
- CCTV footage exposes Bantama and Buokrom Estate Junction Mobile Money robbers
- Court throws out man’s appeal against burial of wife he’s accused of killing
- Akufo-Addo can’t even shower in presidential jet – Nitiwul defends President’s alleged extravagant foreign travels
- Coca-Cola lost $4 billion in market value after Ronaldo suggested people should drink water instead
- James Town bullion van attack looks like organised crime – Adam Bonaa
- Kumawood actor, Agya Manu has passed on
- Police places ¢20k bounty on James Town bullion van robbers
- Family of student-journalist found dead in a hotel room demands justice
- ‘Akufo-Addo can’t shower’ on Presidential Jet comment needless – Okudzeto Ablakwa
- Nobody is prohibited from discussing coup d’etats – Lawyer
2 persons shot by members of local mining taskforce at Adeiso in Eastern Region
Ras Mubarak, Okyem Aboagye clash over scrapping of MPs Common Fund
Akufo-Addo didn’t use presidential jet due to security, not because he couldn’t shower – Dominic Nitiwul
Luv FM High School Debate: Prempeh College dazzles through to semi-finals
CBOD meets Dangote Group for progress update on oil refinery project
Biden and Putin praise Geneva summit talks but discord remains
Dangote Refinery commended for focusing on production of cleaner fuels
Security on high alert in Upper East as police signal possible attack by Burkinabe bandits
Euros On MGL: Italy become first team to reach the knockout stage after Switzerland victory
Parliament approves Charles Adu Boahen, 11 Deputy Ministers
Playback: PM Express discusses the presidential jet controversy
Sergio Ramos set to leave Real Madrid after 16 years
Coca-Cola market value falls $4bn after Cristiano Ronaldo removes bottles for water
Papers for 2020 WASSCE were leaked – Africa Education Watch
Government lauded for reviving TOR