Audio By Carbonatix
The Mpraeso MP has dismissed reports of resistance from the National Democratic Congress on the upcoming mass registration of voters.
Seth Kwame Acheampong said, on the contrary, the biggest opposition party is preparing its team to rally their members and sympathisers for the exercise.
“I know they are very strategic…I am old in this business to appreciate whatever steps the NDC takes,” Acheampong said on JoyNews’ AM Show Thursday.
He told host Roland Walker that the NDC members will be the first at the polling stations when the polls are opened.
On the NDC’s boycott of Wednesday’s Inter-Party Advisory Committee (IPAC) meeting with the Electoral Commission, Kwame Acheampong said the no-show was immaterial to posterity.
He recounted the governing party’s boycott of then President John Mahama’s inauguration in 2013 as the party was challenging the credibility of the election in the Supreme Court.
Mr Acheampong said their boycott amounted to nothing so the NDC should learn and rather come to the discussion table.
However, Dr Clement Apaak the MP for Builsa South who was also as well rejected Acheampong’s claims.
He said the NDC’s leaders will soon convene a crisis meeting to determine whether or not to partake in the upcoming registration exercise.
EC sets date for voters' registration
The EC, after Wednesday’s meeting with political parties, announced that the mass registration of all eligible voters’ will begin in the last week of June 2020.
The exercise was initially scheduled to begin on April 18 but was postponed following the coronavirus outbreak.
The EC, among other reasons, argues that the current register and its management system is overstretched, necessitating a new and enhanced system.
The NPP and like-minded political parties who have previously called for a new register after the aftermath of the 2013 election petition have backed the decision.

While the NDC and like-minded parties are against the EC’s decision. The NDC says the current register is credible and should not be changed.
The party argues the EC decision to change the register is part of “a grand scheme to rig the 2020 elections in favour of President Akufo-Addo.”
But the EC has rejected this claim.
Meanwhile, the NDC is in court challenging the decision to compile a new register.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
6 minutes -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
12 minutes -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
12 minutes -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
13 minutes -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
19 minutes -
Petrol prices to drop today with diesel up in mixed pump price review
19 minutes -
Okoe Boye will help NPP win more seats in Greater Accra – Bawumia
24 minutes -
I am open to work with everyone to win 2028 — Bawumia
30 minutes -
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
35 minutes -
Public pay system must balance fair wages with fiscal sustainability – Government
40 minutes -
Niharika Handa makes history as King Faisal’s first female Board Chair
43 minutes -
Gov’t disburses GH¢23.1bn to clear road contractors’ arrears – Roads Minister
47 minutes -
Massive crowd turns out for Brock Royal Family’s Osu Duku Walk
48 minutes -
Aboboyaa Group donates two motorcycles to NACOC Ashanti Command
53 minutes -
Sexual harassment has no place in educational institutions – Education Ministry
1 hour