Audio By Carbonatix
Three primary schools in New York state have banned Halloween costumes from the hit Netflix series Squid Game, over fears they could glorify violence.
The South Korean thriller series tells the story of debt-ridden people competing for a huge cash prize in a deadly series of children's games.
Its gory content has prompted the schools to email parents about the show's "violent messages".
They said Squid Game outfits at school events would be "inappropriate".
Schools in New York's Fayetteville-Manlius School District have guidelines banning Halloween outfits with items "that can be interpreted as weapons", and those that are "too gory or scary", its Superintendent Dr Craig Tice told CBS News.
He said pupils had been re-enacting scenes from the series at break times, and principals had warned parents that "games associated with violent behaviour are not appropriate".
In the US, the series is rated for mature audiences by Netflix, meaning the show "may not be suitable for ages 17 and under".
But some parents are reportedly unhappy with the schools' costume ban.
"It's a costume. Just don't let your kids watch the show," one woman told CBS.
Another parent called the ban "overbearing".
In England, teachers have warned about children as young as six acting out games from the series.
Earlier this month, Central Bedfordshire Council told parents to be "vigilant" about the dangers of their children "replicating games from the Squid Game programme".
Latest Stories
-
Kingsford Boakye-Yiadom nets first league goal for Everton U21 in Premier League 2
28 minutes -
We Condemn Publicly. We Download Privately — A Ghanaian Digital Dilemma
2 hours -
Renaming KIA to Accra International Airport key to reviving national airline – Transport Minister
3 hours -
Interior Minister urges public not to share images of Burkina Faso attack victims
3 hours -
Unknown persons desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
3 hours -
I will tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
3 hours -
Ghana to host high-level national consultative on use of explosive weapons in populated areas
4 hours -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Leadership Communication and Alignment
4 hours -
Ace Ankomah writes: Let’s coffee our cocoa: My Sunday morning musings
4 hours -
Real income of cocoa farmers has improved – Agriculture Minister
4 hours -
I’ll tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
4 hours -
Titao attack should be wake-up call for Ghana’s security architecture – Samuel Jinapor
4 hours -
New Juaben South MP Okyere Baafi condemns Burkina Faso attack, demands probe into government response
4 hours -
A/R: Unknown assailants desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
5 hours -
What is wrong with us: Africans know mining, but do not understand the business and consequences of mining
5 hours
