Audio By Carbonatix
Cloud computing giant Rackspace has confirmed hackers accessed customer data during last month’s ransomware attack.
The attack, which Rackspace first confirmed on December 6, impacted the company’s hosted Exchange email environment, forcing the web giant to shut down the hosted email service following the incident. At the time, Rackspace said it was unaware “what, if any, data was affected.”
In its latest incident response update published on Friday, Rackspace admitted that the hackers gained access to the personal data of 27 customers. Rackspace said the hackers accessed PST files, typically used to store backup and archived copies of emails, calendar events and contacts from Exchange accounts and email inboxes.
Rackspace said about 30,000 customers used its hosted Exchange service — which it will now discontinue — at the time of the ransomware attack.
“We have already communicated our findings to these customers proactively, and importantly, according to Crowdstrike, there is no evidence that the threat actor actually viewed, obtained, misused, or disseminated any of the 27 Hosted Exchange customers’ emails or data in the PSTs in any way,” said Rackspace. The company added that customers that haven’t been contacted directly can “be assured” that their data was not accessed by attackers.
Rackspace attributed the breach to the Play ransomware group, a relatively new gang that recently claimed attacks on the Belgian port city of Antwerp and the H-Hotels hospitality chain. Rackspace’s stolen data is not currently listed on the ransomware group’s leak site, and it’s unclear if Rackspace has paid a ransom demand.
According to the incident report update, Play threat actors gained access to Rackspace’s networks by exploiting CVE-2022-41080, a zero-day flaw patched by Microsoft in November that has been linked to previous ransomware incidents.
Latest Stories
-
Raúl Castro indictment threatens to ignite war between US and Cuba
15 minutes -
2026 Africa Bitcoin Day marked in Accra
19 minutes -
US sanctions Tanzanian police official over alleged torture of human rights activists
21 minutes -
Borrowing in April hit highest level since Covid
25 minutes -
NCCE urges students, young people to lead fight against corruption
32 minutes -
AI used to fake evidence that ended Korean actor’s career, say police
33 minutes -
Swiss Armed Forces delegation engages GAF over peacekeeping cooperation at Burma Camp
38 minutes -
Mahama launches $300m World Bank-funded secondary school improvement programme
51 minutes -
Nato chief welcomes US sending 5,000 troops to Poland
53 minutes -
NIA pushes mandatory biometric verification as digital identity reforms expand
59 minutes -
Dress properly for visa interviews; it can influence approval – Ghana’s Ambassador to US urges
1 hour -
Mahama unveils plans for second phase of ‘Big Push’ road programme for 2027
1 hour -
President Mahama assures Savannah Region of imminent electrification works
1 hour -
National Service Authority open to strategic partnerships – Ruth Dela Seddoh
1 hour -
Mahama pledges to end double-track system by 2027 through expansion of technical and vocational education
1 hour