Audio By Carbonatix
The Israeli army says 21 of its soldiers have been killed in Gaza - the deadliest day for Israeli forces since the start of their ground operation.
A spokesman for the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), Daniel Hagari, said it is thought a rocket-propelled grenade hit a tank near two buildings they were in.bb
He said the buildings exploded probably as result of mines that Israeli forces had placed there to demolish them.
The IDF says it is still investigating the details of the incident.
The incident took place in central Gaza, close to the kibbutz of Kissufim on the Israeli side of the border, at around 16:00 (14:00 GMT) on Monday, Mr Hagari said.
He said the soldiers, most of whom were reservists, were involved in an operation to allow for residents of southern Israel to safely return to their homes after tens of thousands were evacuated after the Hamas attack on 7 October.
Israeli President Isaac Herzog wrote on X, formerly Twitter, that it had been an "unbearably difficult morning" learning about the extent of the death toll.
"On behalf of the entire nation, I console the families and pray for the healing of the wounded," he said.
Israel launched the war with the declared aim of destroying Hamas after waves of its gunmen killed 1,300 people - mostly civilians - and took about 250 others hostage in the unprecedented attack.
At least 25,295 people - mainly woman and children - have been killed in the Israeli military campaign in Gaza since then, according to the Hamas-run health ministry.
Latest Stories
-
‘I’m a cocoa farmer too’ — Mahama speaks on price cuts and farmer pain amid crises
3 minutes -
Underground Mining Alliance donates Vein Finder to sickle cell unit of AngloGold Ashanti Health Foundation
4 minutes -
Police re-arrest Abdul-Aziz Iddrisu, suspected killer in Bawku chieftaincy violence
11 minutes -
Diaspora meets home: AkunaPod Retreat sparks new wave of film collaboration
12 minutes -
FDA warns against using ‘cement’ to preserve beans
21 minutes -
On signs the rising Steeplechase star from Africa, Mercy Chepngeno
28 minutes -
The People’s Forum protests cocoa price cut with billboards
32 minutes -
Kwaw Kese to refund $170 raised for Kwesi Arthur to donors after backlash
36 minutes -
Ghana Water MD urges public to report construction activities disrupting water supply
50 minutes -
Ghana Water unable to fund major projects due to financial constraints — Adam Mutawakilu
1 hour -
PPAG raises alarm over lack of sign language interpreters in public, private institutions
1 hour -
Black Stars ‘disastrous’ AFCON 2023 campaign didn’t surprise me – Kurt Okraku
1 hour -
Empower state agencies to work effectively to fight corruption – GACC
1 hour -
Blood, betrayal and the bill: Ghana’s paternity crossroads
1 hour -
Asiedu Nketia rejects Ministry of Interior report on 2024 election death
1 hour
