Audio By Carbonatix
Morocco has confirmed a case of mpox in a man in the city of Marrakech, the health ministry said.
This is the first such discovery since the current outbreak was declared a public health emergency of international concern by the World Health Organization (WHO) last month.
That was in response to the rapid spread of a new variant, or clade, of the virus in central Africa. The Moroccan authorities have not said which variant the man has.
The health ministry said he is receiving treatment and is in a stable condition.
Moroccan authorities are tracing and monitoring the health of all the people the man has had contact with. None were showing any symptoms, the statement released on Thursday afternoon said.
Mpox can be spread through close person contact with someone who is infected.
It can also be spread through touching objects which have been contaminated by the virus, such as bedding, clothing and towels.
- Nurses working in fear: BBC visits mpox epicentre
- The children bearing the brunt of the mpox outbreak
- How worried should we be about mpox?
The infection can clear up on its own and lasts between 14 and 21 days.
But in some cases it is fatal, particularly for vulnerable groups including small children.
Serious cases can see lesions attack the whole of the body, especially the mouth, eyes and genitals.
Treatment involves taking care of the rash, helping manage the pain, and preventing complications, the WHO says.
In 2024, more than 20,000 cases and 500 deaths have been recorded across 14 African countries. The Democratic Republic of Congo is at the centre of the outbreak with more than 5,000 cases this year.
Vaccines, which are thought to be a vital measure in preventing the spread, have arrived in DR Congo, but because of logistical challenges it could be several weeks before they arrive in the most affected areas in the east of the country.
When declaring the outbreak a public health emergency on 14 August, WHO director-general Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said it was "clear that a co-ordinated international response is needed to stop these outbreaks and save lives".e
Latest Stories
-
Theo Dzimega defends judge’s discretion in Abronye DC bail, criticises Afenyo-Markin’s remarks
9 minutes -
Ghana Bar Association rejects ‘NPP’ tag by Ofosu Kwakye
29 minutes -
Hindsight: What next for the women’s relay team after African Championships?
29 minutes -
Opinion: President Mahama must reshuffle his cabinet now to save the NDC from internal cracks
59 minutes -
We’ll not condone such acts – GBA condemns Afenyo-Markin’s judge attack
1 hour -
One shot dead, 7 others injured at galamsey site in Bibiani Anhwiaso Bekwai
1 hour -
Two men arrested over stunt at enclosure of famous monkey Punch
1 hour -
Belgian ex-diplomat Davignon dies before trial over Lumumba assassination
2 hours -
Dembele having treatment for calf strain, say PSG
2 hours -
Ghana placed in Pot 2 ahead of 2027 AFCON qualifying draw
2 hours -
Elon Musk loses lawsuit against OpenAI
2 hours -
Four killed in protests during Kenyan strikes over high fuel prices
2 hours -
Motorists stranded as floods submerge parts of Accra-Cape Coast highway
2 hours -
Absa Bank supports Holy Trinity SHS students with career guidance and financial literacy
2 hours -
At least 100 deaths reported in Ebola outbreak in DR Congo as 6 Americans exposed
2 hours