Audio By Carbonatix
The UK government has said it will not send further payments to Rwanda following the cancellation of the migrant deal between the two countries.
On Monday, Rwanda's government spokesperson Yolande Makolo said the UK had asked Rwanda to "quietly forgo" the remaining payment - reportedly amounting to ÂŁ50m ($64m) - based on "trust and good faith".
However, Rwanda has now asked the UK to pay the remainder of the money it says it is owed, accusing the UK of breaching trust by suspending some aid to the country.
In a statement, a UK government spokesperson said that "no further payments in relation to this policy will be made and Rwanda has waived any additional payments".
The row over payments linked to the Rwanda scheme comes after the UK government announced it would halt bilateral aid to the east African country last month, except for "support to the poorest and most vulnerable".
The UK took the decision to cut aid after accusing the country of supporting M23, a rebel group that has captured swathes of eastern Democratic Republic of Congo in a deadly uprising.
The aid cuts have amounted to "unjustified punitive measures to coerce Rwanda into compromising our national security", Makolo said on Monday.
Rwanda has often denied backing the M23 rebel group, but has recently been more defensive, saying it has had to take measures to deal with the "existential threat" posed by genocidal militia near its borders.
UN experts have previously estimated that between 3,000 and 4,000 Rwandan troops are in eastern DR Congo.
Makolo said Rwanda would now be "following up" on outstanding payments relating to the migrant deal to which the UK was "legally bound".
The plan to deport some asylum seekers to Rwanda, devised by the previous Conservative government in 2022, cost the UK ÂŁ240m ($310m) before being scrapped by Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer.
Speaking in July last year, shortly after being elected, Starmer said the plan was "dead and buried", arguing that the scheme had "never been a deterrent" and would only deport "less than 1%" of small boat arrivals.
In a statement, a UK government spokesperson said: "The Home Secretary has been clear that the costly Migration and Economic Development Partnership with Rwanda wasted tax-payer money and should not continue."
Latest Stories
-
Ashaiman: Private developer demolishes traders properties to reclaim land
2 minutes -
“BoG failed to follow the appropriate steps before revocation of GN Savings and Loans’ licence”
9 minutes -
Ankaful Prison officers undergo Emergency Response Training to boost disaster preparedness
10 minutes -
Residents scramble for meat after train kills two cows at Avenor in Accra
10 minutes -
Vanessa Trump, former wife of Donald Trump Jr, diagnosed with breast cancer
23 minutes -
GSA to launch digital App for consumers to scan and identify non-standard products
27 minutes -
Enimil Ashon: Filmmakers laughing all the way to the bank
34 minutes -
Ghana signs landmark deal with Canadian firm to turn waste into clean energy and aviation fuel
42 minutes -
Heath Goldfields’ return brings relief to families in Bogoso-Prestea after two years of hardship
1 hour -
MTN Ghana rolls out SME Business Clinic in Koforidua to drive digital transformation
1 hour -
Stakeholders demand demolition of encroaching structures around Wa Airport over rising wildlife threats
1 hour -
“For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord” – Nduom celebrates court victory
1 hour -
TDC, GIADEC and ARISE IIP join forces to advance Tema Industrial Park project
1 hour -
MTN Ghana calls for reforms to tackle risks facing local businesses
1 hour -
Minority accuses Foreign Affairs Minister of sidestepping Parliament over foreign agreements
2 hours