Audio By Carbonatix
After spending eight years in jail, a Nigerian televangelist accused of raping young women from his South African church has been found not guilty of all charges.
Timothy Omotoso had denied the 32 charges in a trial that was broadcast live and gained huge interest across the country.
In 2018, one witness told the court she had been raped by the pastor - who ran a church in the city of Port Elizabeth - when she was 14 years old.
When delivering the verdict on Wednesday, the judge presiding over the trial said that Mr Omotoso had been found not guilty because prosecutors had mishandled the case.
South Africa's National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) shared a similar assessment, saying that "former prosecutors in the case acted improperly and the accused were not sufficiently cross-examined by the state".
The NPA said it would now "consider its legal options" and that the drawn-out nature of the trial was partly down to Mr Omotoso filing numerous legal challenges.
For his part, Mr Omotoso told the media he thanked God for the verdict.
His co-accused, Lusanda Sulani and Zikiswa Sitho, were also found not guilty.
Mr Omotoso was dramatically arrested at an airport in 2017 as he sought to leave the country.
His trial was the first prominent rape case to be broadcast live in a country where sexual violence is rampant.
The hearings attracted huge interest and raised difficult questions about victims' rights, impartiality and whether justice is best served by having television cameras in courtrooms.
Following Wednesday's verdict, Mr Omotoso will be deported to Nigeria, South African media outlet News24 reported.
Latest Stories
-
Today’s Front Pages: Monday, February 16, 2026
14 minutes -
‘Victory in 2028 won’t be gifted to us’ – Bawumia urges discipline, unity in NPP
41 minutes -
Lordina Mahama announces completion of 3 modern maternity and children’s wards
43 minutes -
IOM, Fidelity Bank Ghana Ltd partner to boost financial literacy for Ghanaian returneesÂ
46 minutes -
There is nothing wrong with being arrested as a politician – Afenyo-Markin urges NPP unity
49 minutes -
Fact-based response to misleading narratives on JG Resources Ltd’s gold trade dispute
52 minutes -
GNFS prevents petrol tanker explosion at Aveme Junction
1 hour -
Hindsight: Garbage in, garbage out
1 hour -
Gender Ministry condemns alleged digital sexual exploitation by foreign national, vows legal action
1 hour -
‘We realised the mess left behind’ – Asiedu Nketia blames Akufo-Addo gov’t for cocoa crisis
2 hours -
Suspect in Zebilla police robbery and murder arrested
2 hours -
‘I am safe and recovering well’ – Mohammed Sukparu reassures public after accident
2 hours -
Bawumia thanks liaisons nationwide
2 hours -
Africa must industrialise through green transition – AGN Chair
2 hours -
Ghana’s economy still vulnerable to commodity swings and global tightening – PwC warns
2 hours
