Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) says most of the victims injured in Tuesday’s Roman Ridge building collapse have been treated and discharged from the hospital, with a few still receiving medical attention.
Head of Public Relations for the Service, Desmond Ackah, revealed on the AM Show that although some victims’ conditions were initially critical, all are now in stable condition.
“As of yesterday around 9:00 p.m., we had information that some of them had been discharged from the hospital, except a few whose conditions were critical. But we were assured that they were all out of danger,” Mr. Ackah said.
READ ALSO: Fire Service suspends Roman Ridge construction after building collapse
He added that investigations have already begun to determine the cause of the collapse, while precautionary measures have been taken to secure the site and suspend all construction activities.
“As a precautionary measure, we succeeded in cordoning off the area and instructed the contractors to hold on with any further construction until investigations are concluded,” he noted.
The incident occurred on Tuesday afternoon at the Roman Ridge Engineering Centre, between a ten-storey high-rise apartment and the Ghana Institute of Engineering. The collapsed structure, reportedly being undertaken by Fabrico Builders, trapped 14 men who were later rescued and rushed to the 37 Military Hospital and Ridge Hospital.
Officials from the Fire Service, together with engineers and safety inspectors, are expected to conduct a full assessment to establish what led to the collapse.
Mr Ackah said the Service remains hopeful that the remaining victims will soon be discharged.
“We are praying and believing that hopefully soon they would also be discharged,” he added.
Authorities have since assured the public that updates will be provided once the investigation report is ready.
Latest Stories
-
Gov’t targets petroleum upstream recovery after five years of consecutive decline
3 minutes -
TUC welcomes ICJ ruling affirming workers’ right to strike
30 minutes -
NDC teachers launch grassroots political drive in Western North
53 minutes -
GN Savings and Loans to reopen first branch in Elmina – Nduom
1 hour -
Mr Eazi’s Zagadat Capital acquires 17.31 per cent stake in Intravenous Infusions PLC
2 hours -
Usyk keeps titles with controversial Verhoeven stoppage
2 hours -
Suspect killed after opening fire on Secret Service near White House
2 hours -
Mahama, Macron push new chapter on reparatory justice
3 hours -
Ghana Institute of Architects cracks down on fake architects and illegal practice
3 hours -
Ghana to destroy over 4,000 illegal weapons in nationwide arms amnesty exercise
3 hours -
Headmen and Queen Mothers meet in Binde to promote lasting peace in Mamprugu Kingdom
4 hours -
Tension in Kasoa: Assembly pulls down shops for 24-hour economy project
5 hours -
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
5 hours -
Eastern Regional Minister halts Koforidua China Mall project over severe flooding
5 hours -
Tamale police arrest suspect with large quantities of drugs
6 hours