Audio By Carbonatix
The Chairman of the New Patriotic Party’s (NPP) Sweden Branch, Richard Oti-Aboagye, has distanced himself from a petition challenging the “no proxy voting” directive issued by the Presidential Elections Committee (PEC), describing the document as “misleading, constitutionally unsound, and politically unhelpful.”
In a letter addressed to the party hierarchy and sighted by MyJoyOnline, Mr. Oti-Aboagye said the petition, dated November 10, 2025, falsely suggested that all 30 external branches of the party supported the pushback against the PEC’s guidelines ahead of the upcoming presidential primary.
According to him, several external branch chairpersons, including himself, were not part of the meeting that produced the petition. He argued that the document “creates the false and misleading impression that all thirty external branches were present, represented, and in agreement,” insisting that no formal resolution was ever taken to reflect such a unified stance.
Mr. Oti-Aboagye also defended the PEC, stressing that the committee acted squarely within its constitutional mandate. He noted that the PEC was established by the National Council to independently formulate and implement rules for the presidential primaries, including decisions such as the ban on proxy voting.
“It would be contrary to the intent and spirit of that delegation of authority to insist that every operational guideline must be separately sanctioned by the National Council,” he stated, warning that such an expectation would “paralyse the PEC and undermine the very purpose for which it was established.”
He further dismissed claims that the directive was unfair or targeted, explaining that the PEC consults all presidential aspirants and their representatives.
Selectively contesting one guideline, he said, could set a precedent that plunges the internal election process into destabilising disputes.
The Sweden Branch Chairman also justified the PEC’s decision, arguing that while proxy voting had been used in the past, it posed administrative challenges, including verification issues and potential abuse. The move, he said, should be seen as “a responsible administrative evolution aimed at ensuring a credible and transparent process.”
Mr. Oti-Aboagye cautioned that public petitions against party organs risk projecting disunity at a sensitive moment as the NPP prepares for the 2028 general election. He urged members to prioritise discipline, due process, and constructive engagement.
He concluded by calling on the National Executive Committee to note that the petition does not represent the collective position of all external branches, affirm the PEC’s authority, and encourage continued dialogue “without undermining the committee’s operational autonomy or delaying the presidential primary process.”
Latest Stories
-
NPA engages industry stakeholders on 24-hour economy pilot in petroleum sector
34 minutes -
Ablakwa outlines key bilateral agreements with Burkina Faso to boost trade, security and border cooperation
37 minutes -
Ghana, Burkina Faso deepen security ties after terrorists kill 8 Ghanaians in Titao
1 hour -
Luv FM launches 7th edition of Primary Schools Quiz; pupils urged to embrace Ghanaian culture
2 hours -
Nollywood star Michael Dappa stuns fans with big chop ahead of new film role
2 hours -
NPA slams gas ‘shortage’ rumours; assures over one month’s cover
2 hours -
BoG, SEC order the removal of all crypto billboards within 48 hours
3 hours -
Majority Leader fires back at Sefwi protesters
4 hours -
New Horizon Fun Games: Vice President calls for stronger national commitment to inclusion
4 hours -
Prof. Amoah warns Africa against becoming China’s ‘Dumping Ground’
4 hours -
President Mahama commissions B5 Plus Steel Ball Mill and Manufacturing Plant to ignite industrial revolution
5 hours -
Fighters demand amnesty for cannabis convicts following massive policy shift
6 hours -
Don’t cancel the pension scheme for cocoa farmers
6 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: CJ’s ‘No Prima Facie’ ruling and Burkina Faso bloodshed
7 hours -
Trump says he is considering limited military strike on Iran
8 hours
