Audio By Carbonatix
Guinea-Bissau's electoral commission said on Tuesday it was unable to complete the November 23 presidential election process after armed men seized ballots and vote tallies from its offices, while servers storing the results were destroyed.
Army officers in the West African state seized power on November 26, a day before the electoral commission was due to announce the results of the contested election.
The Reuters Daily Briefing newsletter provides all the news you need to start your day. Sign up here.
"We do not have the material and logistic conditions to follow through with the electoral process," Idrissa Djalo, a senior official of the electoral commission, said in a statement.
Buildings, including the electoral commission offices, came under attack when the army officers took power. Major-General Horta Inta-a was sworn in as the new transitional president on November 27, halting the election process.
Inta-a has promised a one-year transitional period.
Guinea-Bissau's new military leaders have come under pressure, particularly from the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) regional bloc, to restore constitutional order and to allow the electoral process to resume.
A high-level delegation from the bloc, led by Sierra Leone's President Julius Maada Bio, met with the military leaders and electoral commission officials in Bissau on Monday.
SERVERS DESTROYED
Djalo said the commission had told the delegation that a group of unidentified armed and hooded individuals had stormed and ransacked its premises on November 26.
"They confiscated the computers of all 45 staff members who were at the commission that day," he said, adding that all election tally sheets from the different regions were seized, and the server where the results were stored had been destroyed.
"It is impossible to complete the electoral process without the tally sheets from the regions," Djalo said.
ECOWAS leaders, who have threatened sanctions against those disrupting the constitutional order, are set to meet on December 14 to discuss the crisis.
The tiny West African coastal nation, wedged between Senegal and Guinea, has experienced repeated instability since gaining independence from Portugal in 1974, with only one president ever completing a full term in office.
The persistent turmoil has turned the country into a key transit point for cocaine shipments from Latin America to Europe, where rival cartels compete for influence in the lucrative drug trade.
Inta-a said in his swearing-in that the coup was necessary to ward off a plot by "narco-traffickers" to "capture Guinean democracy".
Latest Stories
-
Godfred Arthur nets late winner as GoldStars stun Heart of Lions
2 minutes -
Number of jobs advertised decreased by 4% to 2,614 in 2025 – BoG
35 minutes -
Passenger arrivals at airport, land borders declined in 2025 – BoG
44 minutes -
Total revenue and grant misses target by 6.7% to GH¢187bn in 2025
44 minutes -
Africa’s top editors converge in Nairobi to tackle media’s toughest challenges
2 hours -
Specialised courts, afternoon sittings to tackle case delays- Judicial Secretary
2 hours -
Specialised high court division to be staffed with trained Judges from court of appeal — Judicial Secretary
3 hours -
Special courts will deliver faster, fairer justice — Judicial Secretary
3 hours -
A decade of dance and a bold 10K dream as Vivies Academy marks 10 years
4 hours -
GCB’s Linus Kumi: Partnership with Ghana Sports Fund focused on building enduring systems
4 hours -
Sports is preventive healthcare and a wealth engine for Ghana – Dr David Kofi Wuaku
4 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund Deputy Administrator applauds GCB’s practical training for staff
5 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund strengthens institutional framework with GCB Bank strategic partnership
5 hours -
UBIDS to Complete Abandoned Projects Following GETFund Financial Clearance – Vice Chancellor
5 hours -
Nii Moi Thompson questions Anokye Frimpong’s ‘distorted history’ narratives
6 hours
