Audio By Carbonatix
Military authorities in coup-prone Guinea-Bissau have scheduled presidential and legislative elections for 6 December, despite calls for a swifter transition to civilian rule.
Transitional President Horta N'Tam signed a decree on Wednesday after meeting members of the National Transitional Council, military, and government officials, as well as representatives of the electoral commission.
He told reporters the conditions for free and fair elections had been met.
Since seizing power from President Umaro Sissoco Embaló in November, Guinea-Bissau's coup leaders have been under pressure from the West African regional body, Ecowas, to organise elections within a short transitional timeframe.
The regional bloc had previously rejected the junta's notion of a one-year timeline, suspended the country from its decision-making bodies, and threatened further sanctions.
It remains unclear how Ecowas will react to the election timetable now that it has been formally announced by the junta.
The November 2025 coup drew widespread criticism, with many challenging the military's decision to seize power on the eve of the official proclamation of presidential election results.
At the time, both President Embaló and his main challenger Fernando Dias claimed victory. The military said it intervened to thwart a plot to destabilise the politically fragile and unstable West African nation.
But some regional observers, including former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, argued the coup was staged.
Many now wait to discover the identities of those aspiring for the country's top job. The transitional charter adopted shortly after the coup already bars interim leader N'Tam and his prime minister from running.
But given the trend of coup leaders in West Africa consolidating power and extending their stay in office, observers will no doubt question whether Guinea-Bissau will be any exception.
Latest Stories
-
The six KNUST air quality ambassadors championing clean air action across Ghana and West Africa
3 minutes -
Big motivation if people want Spurs down – De Zerbi
9 minutes -
West Ham relegation may cost London taxpayers £2.5m
18 minutes -
Leeds promise bans over homophobic chants
28 minutes -
Mahama recused himself over Damang Mine deal – Kwakye Ofosu rejects Ibrahim state capture claims
38 minutes -
What is wrong with us? We celebrate buildings but neglect the systems that keep cities alive
53 minutes -
Neymar included in Brazil’s 26-man World Cup squad
1 hour -
Why Ghana’s export story is no longer about raw cocoa
1 hour -
Man City preparing for Guardiola departure
1 hour -
The paradox of plenty: How Ghana’s farmers are being sacrificed on the altar of a cheap import agenda
1 hour -
Defence Ministry in ‘safe hands’ despite vacancy – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
1 hour -
Why no Defence Minister yet? – Felix Kwakye Ofosu says Mahama sees no urgency
2 hours -
Sam George petitions AG to probe $3.4m payment for CSA building project
2 hours -
The Abronye Charge Sheet – misuse in plain sight
2 hours -
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid after 23 years
2 hours