Audio By Carbonatix
Police in the Ashanti Region say they have dismantled a dangerous armed robbery gang that had been terrorising motorists along the Obuasi–Dunkwa highway following a series of intelligence-led operations.
The operation, carried out by the Ghana Police Service’s Ashanti South Regional Command on March 10 and 11, 2026, led to an exchange of gunfire between officers and the suspects, leaving two alleged robbers dead, while several others were arrested in a follow-up crackdown.
According to police in a statement, intelligence gathered on March 10 indicated that a group of armed men had assembled in a bush along the Obuasi–Dunkwa stretch and were preparing to carry out a robbery.
A police team was immediately deployed to the area.
"Upon arriving at the bush location near Obuasi on the Obuasi-Dunkwa highway, the team spotted approximately four young men armed with guns. On sighting the Police, the suspects immediately opened fire and attempted to flee through the bush.
"The Police returned fire and two (2) suspects sustained gunshot injuries during the exchange, while the remaining two, also believed to have sustained gunshot wounds, succeeded in escaping through the bush," the statement read.
The injured suspects were identified as 42-year-old David Aheto, originally from Sogakope but residing in Asin Fosu, and 32-year-old Illiasu Bawa, a native of Banda Nkwanta in the Savanna Region.
Both men were rushed to the Bekwai Municipal Hospital but were pronounced dead on arrival by medical officers.
Police said the two suspects have been linked to several armed robbery incidents in Obuasi, Dunkwa-on-Offin, Wasa Akropong and Asin Fosu.
Officers recovered a cache of weapons and ammunition at the scene, including an AK-47 assault rifle with serial number 68104599 loaded with 28 rounds of 7.62×39mm ammunition, a pump-action shotgun loaded with five BB cartridges, eight additional rounds of 7.62×39mm ammunition and one spent BB cartridge.
In total, 36 rounds of 7.62×39mm ammunition were retrieved.
Further intelligence gathered during the operation revealed that another suspect, Samuel Agyei, also known as Africa, currently on remand at Wasa Akropong, is believed to be part of the same robbery gang.
Police investigations also point to a suspected illegal arms supply network operating in the Asawase area of Kumasi.
One suspect, Alhaji Abdalah of Asawase, is alleged to have sold the recovered AK-47 rifle to the gang for GH₵45,000.
The Police said he is also believed to have previously sold a G3 rifle and a pistol to Samuel Agyei.
A follow-up operation on March 11 led to the arrest of another suspect, Aminu Iddrisu, also known as 0244.
Police said the suspect later led officers to a sheep pen at Moshie Zongo in Kumasi, where an AK-47 rifle and a Bruni pistol had been hidden inside a sack.
In a separate development, officers arrested 24-year-old Daniel Debrah after acting on further intelligence.
A search linked to his arrest led to the recovery of an unregistered red Toyota Corolla saloon car believed to be part of the proceeds from robberies carried out by the deceased suspect, David Aheto.
Police said suspects Abdalah Alhassan, Jemini Usman alias Babamu, Aminu Iddrisu alias 0244, and Daniel Debrah are currently in custody assisting investigations.
Meanwhile, security agencies have launched a manhunt for other suspects believed to be part of the criminal network, including a man identified as Mallam Aminu.
The police say efforts are underway to track down the remaining gang members and recover additional weapons in their possession.
The Ashanti South Regional Police Command reaffirmed its zero-tolerance stance on armed robbery and the illegal possession and trafficking of firearms, pledging to pursue all individuals involved in such criminal activities.
Latest Stories
-
Man, 20, drowns while helping travellers cross Ghana-Togo border river
36 seconds -
Top 10 online bill payment platforms in Nigeria
6 minutes -
Fire destroys more than 27 wooden structures at Spintex Coastal junction
9 minutes -
GoldBod: Day of reckoning will come – Afenyo-Markin
12 minutes -
In Photos: Defence Ministry welcomes Kenneth Gilbert Adjei as new Defence Minister
22 minutes -
CSA fines EY Ghana GH¢360,000 for providing cybersecurity services without a licence
30 minutes -
Bonsu Baah scores and assists in Al Qadsiah big win in Saudi King’s Cup
30 minutes -
The Galamsey war and GWL’s fictitious and inaccurate rebuttal
43 minutes -
Afenyo-Markin demands answers over alleged GH¢22bn GoldBod loss
44 minutes -
GoldBod ‘Losses’: We’re not ignorant, we know our job – Afenyo-Markin
47 minutes -
GoldBod cannot hide behind agency role to escape accountability – Afenyo-Markin
58 minutes -
‘You don’t get to keep the fees and disown the costs’ – Afenyo-Markin challenges GoldBod
1 hour -
GNPC turns 40, targets oil production recovery and $3.5bn fresh investment
1 hour -
Minority will speak boldly on GoldBod losses despite attacks – Afenyo-Markin vows
1 hour -
Moody’s upgrades EBID rating to B1, citing stronger finances and shareholder support
1 hour