Audio By Carbonatix
Fuel marketers in Nigeria have pushed back against a lawsuit by Dangote Petroleum Refinery seeking to invalidate import licences, warning that the move could disrupt supply and competition in Africa’s largest oil market.
Dangote last week filed a fresh suit against the Nigerian government, Reuters reported, challenging permits issued to marketers and the state oil firm NNPC to import refined products, arguing they undermine Dangote's $20 billion refinery and risk entrenching inefficiencies.
The refinery has previously sought limits on imports, saying it can meet domestic demand.
However, the Depot and Petroleum Products Marketers Association of Nigeria (DAPPMAN) said on Sunday that the licences granted by the regulator, the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority, were “not administrative courtesies” but legal tools underpinning the country’s fuel supply chain.
DAPPMAN said the Petroleum Industry Act empowers the regulator to issue licences where necessary to ensure supply security. “These licences exist to protect supply, not to disadvantage any single producer,” it said in a statement.
The group also warned that retroactively voiding permits could destabilise the downstream sector, where companies have invested heavily in storage and logistics networks based on existing approvals.
“We respect Dangote’s right to pursue legal remedies,” DAPPMAN added. “What we do not accept is that a private refinery’s commercial interests should override a regulator’s mandate.”
Nigeria has long relied on imports despite being a major crude producer.
The Dangote refinery, which began processing crude in 2024, is seen as key to reducing that dependence, though supply dynamics and pricing remain contentious.
DAPPMAN said it would engage legal counsel and relevant authorities, arguing the market should remain competitive and open to multiple participants.
Latest Stories
-
NADMO appeals for urgent support following Tidal Wave destruction in Moree
8 minutes -
Theo Acheampong defends IMF PCI framework as key to sustaining economic reforms
9 minutes -
Evolution of Ghana’s broadcasting industry paved way for the private media – GIBA President
10 minutes -
MoH recruits more than 7,200 health professionals; more clearance expected
16 minutes -
BoG Governor flags reserve, energy risks as MPC opens 130th meeting
19 minutes -
BRAC International launches social development programme in Ghana
25 minutes -
Gender Minister engages Makola Market leaders on redevelopment concerns
26 minutes -
TUC warns Ghana risks continued IMF dependence
29 minutes -
GBA rejects claims of political bias towards NPP
30 minutes -
Government expands social protection outreach to communities in Krowor
35 minutes -
GSA intensifies market sensitisation ahead of 2026 World Metrology Day
45 minutes -
Rainstorm displaces 55 people in Assin South
49 minutes -
Galamsey: Residents resort to sachet water as Tano River pollution worsens
52 minutes -
CRC proposes reduction of NMC membership from 18 to seven
53 minutes -
Mahama calls for new global health order anchored on self-reliance
54 minutes