Audio By Carbonatix
Defence Minister Dominic Nitiwul has rubbished calls for his resignation over the burning of tipper trucks and excavators used to win sand close to the Dalun river in the Northern Region.
He says such calls are part of a hasty politicization of what is a sensitive matter.
Speaking on Joy FM's News night, Monday, Nitiwul said the burning was undertaken by the Operation Vanguard buck up team instructed to ensure that the water bodies across the country are “clean by any means possible.”
He was reacting to calls by the Northern caucus of the Minority for him to resign over the burning of the equipment.
At least 14 tipper trucks and an excavator were torched by a crack team of military personnel after several warning to sand winners to stop their illegal activity close to the Dalun river.
Officials of the Ghana Water Company had raised concerns about the continuous pollution of the Dalun river due to the activities of sand winners.
The Northern region relies heavily on dams and rivers for their water supplies but most of these dams and rivers usually dry up in the dry season.
Many communities depend on the Dalun river for water but activities of sand winners have always threatened the safety of the river.
Last month, the National Security issued an ultimatum to all sand winners to stop their illegal activity and evacuate the area but the threat appears to have fallen on deaf ears.
Over the weekend, the Operation Vanguard team set ablaze all the equipment used for sand winning in the area, courting the anger of not just the owners but the Minority MPs.
Chairman of the NDC Northern Region caucus and MP for Tamale Central Inusah Fuseini said the action by the military was reprehensible.
“We are by this statement calling for a full-scale investigation into the operation and circumstances leading to the assault on the persons who were in charge of the vehicles at the time, the burning down of those vehicles and equipment and alleged confiscation of monies belonging to those who were brutalized.
“We further demand the immediate resignation of the Minister for Defence, who sought to justify the dastardly act of the military; the resignation of the Northern Regional Minister who we understand… gave the orders,” the statement said.
But the Defence Minister said he had not made any official comment on the matter ever since it happened on Saturday and it will be untrue for the Minority to suggest he had defended it.
He said the operation vanguard buck-up team had been given a specific instruction to ensure that Ghana’s river bodies are clean again and must use every means possible to do that.
Whilst promising to investigate the circumstances under which the equipment were torched, he was quick to add that owners of the equipment were also engaging in an illegal act of galamsey and sand winning, something the government has been ruthless in fighting ever since it won power.
Officials of the Ghana Water Company had raised concerns about the continuous pollution of the Dalun river due to the activities of sand winners.
The Northern region relies heavily on dams and rivers for their water supplies but most of these dams and rivers usually dry up in the dry season.
Many communities depend on the Dalun river for water but activities of sand winners have always threatened the safety of the river.
Last month, the National Security issued an ultimatum to all sand winners to stop their illegal activity and evacuate the area but the threat appears to have fallen on deaf ears.
Over the weekend, the Operation Vanguard team set ablaze all the equipment used for sand winning in the area, courting the anger of not just the owners but the Minority MPs.
Chairman of the NDC Northern Region caucus and MP for Tamale Central Inusah Fuseini said the action by the military was reprehensible.
“We are by this statement calling for a full-scale investigation into the operation and circumstances leading to the assault on the persons who were in charge of the vehicles at the time, the burning down of those vehicles and equipment and alleged confiscation of monies belonging to those who were brutalized.
“We further demand the immediate resignation of the Minister for Defence, who sought to justify the dastardly act of the military; the resignation of the Northern Regional Minister who we understand… gave the orders,” the statement said.
But the Defence Minister said he had not made any official comment on the matter ever since it happened on Saturday and it will be untrue for the Minority to suggest he had defended it.
He said the operation vanguard buck-up team had been given a specific instruction to ensure that Ghana’s river bodies are clean again and must use every means possible to do that.
Whilst promising to investigate the circumstances under which the equipment were torched, he was quick to add that owners of the equipment were also engaging in an illegal act of galamsey and sand winning, something the government has been ruthless in fighting ever since it won power.DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Project C.U.R.E begins 10-day assessment to support Ghana Medical Trust Fund’s NCD fight
4 minutes -
Government assures public of stable ‘fugu’ prices amid Wednesday-wearing policy
7 minutes -
Ghana on track for full-scale tomato production by year-end – Deputy Agric Minister
12 minutes -
Danny Addo to host Undignified 1.0 event and album launch
13 minutes -
Obaapanin Mary Adwoa Ohenewa Awuah
14 minutes -
Afia Adepa Kwarteng thanks God with ‘Oguama Mogya’ mini album after surviving life-threatening surgery
16 minutes -
Mahama consoles families after terrorist attack kills 7 Ghanaian traders in Burkina Faso
20 minutes -
John Jinapor rallies support for Gonjaland Youth Association’s Golden Jubilee Congress in Buipe
21 minutes -
‘We must use this crisis to pivot’ – Mahama urges local processing as cocoa sector reels
24 minutes -
State initiates compensation talks in Latif Iddrisu Police brutality case after eight years
36 minutes -
Gov’t engaging Burkinabe authorities to protect Ghanaian tomato traders – Dumelo
38 minutes -
Tano North residents commend MCE over infrastructure drive
58 minutes -
‘I’m a cocoa farmer too’ — Mahama speaks on price cuts and farmer pain amid crises
1 hour -
Underground Mining Alliance donates Vein Finder to sickle cell unit of AngloGold Ashanti Health Foundation
1 hour -
Police re-arrest Abdul-Aziz Iddrisu, suspected killer in Bawku chieftaincy violence
1 hour
