Audio By Carbonatix
Frederick Kumi, popularly known as Abu Trica, was re-arrested on Monday, January 26, shortly after the High Court struck out his application for certiorari challenging proceedings at the Gbese District Court.
The court held that the application had become moot following the state’s earlier decision to withdraw charges against Abu Trica and two other accused persons, leading to their discharge.
Abu Trica is facing romance fraud allegations, for which the United States of America has submitted an extradition request to the Ghanaian authorities. His legal team has consistently maintained that he is ready to cooperate with all lawful processes.
Despite the discharge, Abu Trica returned to the High Court seeking to quash aspects of the District Court’s proceedings, arguing that issues arising from the case remained unresolved. However, the Attorney-General’s Department opposed the application, insisting that the matter could no longer stand since the prosecution had been discontinued.
Counsel for Abu Trica, Oliver Barker-Vormawor, told the court that his client remained in detention despite the withdrawal of the charges, describing the situation as a disconnect between the letter of the law and its practical effect.
In response, Deputy Attorney-General Dr Justice Srem-Sai assured the court that if Abu Trica was still being held despite his discharge, immediate steps would be taken to secure his release. The court subsequently struck out the application, ruling that there was no live issue before it.
Shortly after the High Court proceedings, Abu Trica was re-arrested by state authorities, reigniting legal uncertainty around his case.
Speaking to journalists later, legal counsel for Abu Trica and his two alleged accomplices confirmed that all three had been formally discharged after the state withdrew the charges.
“That’s what we prayed for from day one, and if the Attorney-General has seen light in that and done the thing, we welcome the decision of the court,” counsel said.
He revealed, however, that the trio had since been taken to the Narcotics Control Commission (NACOC) headquarters. While the reason for the move had not been officially communicated, counsel said he believed it could be for administrative purposes.
“I’m yet to know why they are there, but I believe it’s for administrative purposes. Whatever transpires there, I’ll let you know,” he added.
Latest Stories
-
Mahama launches $300m World Bank-funded secondary school improvement programme
5 minutes -
Nato chief welcomes US sending 5,000 troops to Poland
7 minutes -
NIA pushes mandatory biometric verification as digital identity reforms expand
13 minutes -
Dress properly for visa interviews; it can influence approval – Ghana’s Ambassador to US urges
20 minutes -
Mahama unveils plans for second phase of ‘Big Push’ road programme for 2027
22 minutes -
President Mahama assures Savannah Region of imminent electrification works
25 minutes -
National Service Authority open to strategic partnerships – Ruth Dela Seddoh
26 minutes -
Mahama pledges to end double-track system by 2027 through expansion of technical and vocational education
28 minutes -
Delta Air Lines marks 20 years in Ghana, poised to offer travel options amid World Cup travel boom
32 minutes -
Turkish opposition fights court ousting of leaders in ruling boosting Erdoğan
37 minutes -
Australian man dies after falling down ravine on hike to Machu Picchu
38 minutes -
Ghanaian pilgrim dies during Tawaf ritual in Mecca
39 minutes -
Stakeholder dialogue in Tamale push for expanded agroforestry to tackle climate change and land degradation
40 minutes -
She refused to increase her sachet water price – and it changed her life forever
48 minutes -
Damang Mine concession should not be politicised — Mahama Ayariga
48 minutes