Ghana have secured qualification to the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations following a 1-1 draw in South Africa on Thursday with one round of group games still to play.
Ajax midfielder Kudus Mohammed scored a brilliant goal to put Black Stars ahead at the FNB Stadium, but Brighton attacker Percy Tau levelled for Bafana Bafana.
The draw means Ghana remain top of Group C with 10 points – the same as South Africa, but a point more than Sudan. Charles Akonnor’s men have a superior record against the two countries – who will face each other in the final round of qualifiers.
Ghana become the 12th country through to the finals next year, joining host nation Cameroon, holders Algeria, Guinea, Senegal, Tunisia, Burkina Faso, Mali, Comoros, Egypt, Gambia and Gabon.
Bafana Bafana were the best team in the first half, dominating the Black Stars in terms of possession and chances created. Thapelo Morena found himself in a position to score on two occasions but his efforts went into the side net.
In the 20th minute, Black Stars goalkeeper Razak Abalora tipped over the bar a powerful strike by left-back Sifiso Hlanti.
Black Stars only shot on target came from Mubarak Wakaso, whose long-range free-kick was easily saved by Ronwen Williams.
Akonnor’s side came into the second half a different side and it did not take them long to register the first goal of the game. Kudus received a pass from right-back Benson Anang, managed to beat his marker and slotted the ball in off the post from close range.
The lead lasted for only two minutes with Tau finishing off a lightning quick attack to restore parity for the host.
Both teams had a couple of half chances to win the contest but neither took advantage.
Black Stars celebrated their ninth straight qualification to the Cup of Nations at the end of proceedings. South Africa need to avoid defeat against Sudan on Sunday to join Ghana in Cameroon.
- We tried to have children for about 10 years – Ebo Whyte’s wife recounts
- #FixTheCountry: How an IGP meet-up turned into a ‘Cabinet Meeting’, without the IGP – Convenor reveals
- Blunt and Blay: Real reason why the Church won’t allow a Muslim student to fast in a ‘Mission School’
- #FixTheCountry organisers exhibited ‘bad faith’ during National Security meeting – Godfred Dame
- I have no regrets participating in ‘OccupyFlagstaffHouse’ protest – Kofi Bentil
- Angry Ghanaian youth take #FixTheCountry protests to social media after court injunction
- #FixTheCountry: Bang your utensils, toot your horns on Sunday – Conveners announce format for virtual protest
- It’ll take time for government to get economy back on track – Kojo Oppong Nkrumah
- Benjamin Azamati qualifies for Tokyo Olympics 200m event
- Vehicle towing cost to be borne by insurance industry – NIC Commissioner
Livestream: Finance Minister addresses nation amidst #FixTheCountry protest
South Sudan’s president dissolves Parliament
Akufo-Addo is fixing the country’s challenges better – Kojo Opoku
Let’s jealously defend the Constitution – NCCE
Prof Sitsofe Enyonam Anku
Angry Ghanaian youth take #FixTheCountry protests to social media after court injunction
Mothers’ Day message from First Lady, Rebecca Akufo-Addo
GAF appeals for support for 37 Military Hospital
#FixTheCountry convener’s claim of phone cloning false and baseless – Oppong Nkrumah
#FixTheCountry: Bang your utensils, toot your horns on Sunday – Conveners announce format for virtual protest
Collapsed gold mine kills at least 15 in Guinea
Mother’s Day: Your hard work will never go unrewarded – Lordina Mahama
AU Heads of States direct AfCFTA negotiations to be concluded by June
Electoral Commission has no beef with NDC – Bossman Asare
Joe Ligon: America’s ‘longest juvenile lifer’ on 68 years in prison