Audio By Carbonatix
At least 22 people have been killed so far after back-to-back earthquakes struck the west of Afghanistan on Monday, officials said.
According to data from the US Geological Society (USGS), the 4.9 and 5.3 magnitude quakes affected the north-west province of Badghis, where it caused house and building collapses.
A spokesman told AFP four children were among those found dead in the rubble.
They added that more than 700 houses had been damaged.
Earthquakes can cause significant damage in Afghanistan, where many dwellings are not as stable or well-built.
The USGS captured two earthquakes on Monday, which hit about 50km (31mi) from Qala-e-Naw, the capital of the province.

The first quake hit in the afternoon, and the second followed about two hours later. Its impact was most felt in the Qadis and Mugr districts.
BBC Pashto reported that the Qadis district chief, Mohammad Saleh Purdil, said the quake had knocked down several houses and killed women and children.
He and other officials have warned the death toll could increase as rescuers sift through rubble in the remote region.
Badghis in the north-west, borders Turkmenistan. It is considered one of Afghanistan's most undeveloped and poorest regions.
Impoverished Afghanistan is still struggling with a major debt burden and insufficient supplies, made worse after the Taliban's takeover in August.
Latest Stories
-
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
11 minutes -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
29 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
53 minutes -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
3 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
4 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
4 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
4 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
5 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
5 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
5 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
5 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
6 hours -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
6 hours -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
6 hours