This year, a brunch event was held in California for African nominees prior to the 65th Grammy Awards.
The event was hosted by GUBA Enterprise, a pan-African non-profit organization dedicated to celebrating excellence and innovations of Africans around the world. Its founder and president, Lady Dentaa Amoateng MBE, says the event lived up to expectation and was worth every penny spent on it.
She spoke to Sammy Forson on Joy FM’s Showbiz A-Z last Saturday, February 11. Asked how much it cost to put together the Africa Nominee Brunch on the eve of the 2023 Grammys, Dentaa disclosed, “it cost a lot but I think [its] worth, in terms of what happened on the day, and what’s going to happen, you can’t put a price on it”.
The passionate African promoter detailed that she is more interested in the positive aftermath of the event that sought to present golden opportunities to its participants. “What can we do from this platform? How do we engage from this platform? How do we get more creatives on that platform?”, she quizzed.
Present at the event as guests of honour were Harvey Mason Jnr (CEO) and Panos A. Panay (President), both, of The Recording Academy. The event also assembled a good number of high-profile record labels in the world with an aim of creating a platform for African artistes to network. However, other creatives were given equal opportunities to build contacts, relationships and business partnerships.
“We gave Chocolate [by Kwaku Bediako], our designer, the opportunity to also do a small fashion show. We gave Selorm the opportunity to present his artworks that he’s doing. So just really promoting the different creatives that are from the continent which was really important”, Lady Dentaa disclosed.
Africa Nominee Brunch cost us a lot, but it was worth it.— Joy 99.7 FM (@Joy997FM) February 15, 2023
– Lady Dentaa Amoateng, MBE (@Dentaa_Show) #ShowbizAtoZ pic.twitter.com/GRtc3qXexY
According to her, Ghanaian fashion designer Kwaku Bediako has since then received an impressive number of clothing orders from new clients. This, she believes, will be replicated if the brunch event happens every year. She thus promised that the Africa Nominee Brunch will be held again next year, and hopes that a lot more artistes, including the female, would also get the chance to be represented.
The Africa Nominee Brunch was attended by some Ghanaian artistes including, three-time Grammy nominee Rocky Dawuni, Kidi, and Edem. Unfortunately, Sarkodie and King Promise, though invited, could not make it.
- Nigerian states cut working week to three days
- Special Prosecutor secures court order to arrest Charles Bissue
- Arrest of Prof Frimpong-Boateng disrespectful, tone down – Prof Gyampo cautions Special Prosecutor
- Frimpong-Boateng’s arrest by OSP was lawful – Joseph Kpemka
- Our mission was successful until big-people-sponsored-companies started doing whatever they want – Prof. Frimpong on IMCIM
- Saglemi: Former Housing Ministry Chief Director wheeled to court to face 43 criminal charges
- We need clarification – Bagbin calls for Gyakye Quayson’s name to be retained in Parliament’s records
- I did my job; I tried to make Ghana a better place – Prof Frimpong-Boateng
- Woman dies after eating poisoned chocolates sent by her ex-boyfriend’s jealous lover
- Ken Ansah wins CEO of the Year again but transfers praise to his talented team
- If Funny Face and I get back together, you’d just be the fool – Vanessa mocks naysayers
- EFF joins other Pan African movements to stand with the people of Sudan
- Popular actress opens up about her past: From love to hatred towards her mother
- Ghana Climate Innovation Centre to host the 5th annual Incubating Climate Innovation Symposium
- ‘Sex for grades’ outlawed by Nigeria’s parliament
- Book Review: ‘Her Virginity’; thinking she was loved by the best!
- Camidoh nominated in 2023 BET Awards
- Charles Bissue will not turn himself in despite court order for his arrest – Lawyer
- Wendy Shay thrills music lovers as she gets featured by one of Haiti’s biggest music star, K-Dilak
- Contact NCA if you are without Ghana Card and your SIM has been deactivated – Ursula
- Anthrax outbreak: FDA attributes it to butchers’ disregard for food safety standards
- Fight against galamsey: Residents of Segyemase worried about destruction of their water bodies
- District Education leaders embark on Change Leadership Programme
- Black Stars midfielder Salis Abdul Samed signs one-year contract extension with Lens
- Chelsea reject Emerson Palmieri makes history with Conference League win