Private Legal Practitioner, Martin Kpebu has accused President Akufo-Addo of not having an interest in resourcing the Office of the Special Prosecutor to fight corruption.
This, according to him, is because the OSP will come after his appointees if well resourced.
“.. the OSP is grossly underfunded. President Akufo-Addo is not interested,” he said.
In a discussion on JoyNews’ Newsfile on Saturday, he stated that some lawyers are petitioning the President to resolve the financial challenges faced by the Office of the Special Prosecutor.
“Kissi Agyabeng said he hasn’t received the establishment budget, so you see a huge edifice there but it is empty. It doesn’t have logistics etc. So lawyers have come together signing a petitioning being led by Joseph Tetteh to petition the President that he should sit up and provide money for the OSP,” he said.
According to him, due to the lack of funds, the OSP has inadequate prosecutors, adding that the OSP has just three investigators as compared to some Police stations.
In a related development, the Executive Director of Ghana Integrity Initiative (GII) has bemoaned the extent of corruption in the country.
In an interview on JoyNews’ Newsfile on Saturday, Linda Ofori-Kwafo said corruption has been normalised in Ghana.
She added that, as a result, efforts being made by the Office of the Special Prosecutor to fight corruption do not reflect in the Corruption Perception Index (CPI).
According to Madam Ofori-Kwafo, the normalisation of corruption is causing people to lose trust in the country’s institutions and government.
“People are losing trust in the government that actually came on the back of fighting corruption,” she added.
She further noted that if stringent measures are not taken to curb corrupt practices, the nation will be headed for doom.
She urged that the Office of the Special Prosecutor be well resourced “with the power of recovering stolen wealth, power to investigate and sanction corruption.”
- Akufo-Addo swears in 3 new members of Electoral Commission
- ECG disconnects power to Ho Airport, GRA over debt
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- Ludacris hangs out with Sarkodie in Ghana, fans speculate new music
- Ghana v Angola: Kingsley Schindler replaces injured Tariq Lamptey
- Cedi may record mixed performance to dollar this week
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Putin says ties with Africa a priority to Moscow
- AFCON 2023Q: Goalpost collapses and injures Wollacott in training
- Ugandan parliament passes bill to jail gay people
- Ghana’s economy is still afloat because of Alan Kyerematen’s vision – Buaben Asamoah
- Intimidation of journalists is on the rise – Kweku Andoh Awotwi
- I have already won Ayawaso West Wuogon NDC primaries – Fred Nuamah
- Playback: One-one-on with Managing Director of ECG on PM Express
- EC has become an annex of the NPP – Sammy Gyamfi
- If you move right, you don’t need 10 shows to be okay – Kelvyn Boy
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- 3 JoyNews journalists win big at Merck Foundation 2022 Media Recognition Awards
- I want to be President to build a new Ghana –Kwaku Kobeah
- Essence of marketing is creation of strong brands – Nsarkoh
- Christiana Awuni explains why ‘slay queens’ can’t quit having body enhancement surgeries
- Spend wisely, desist from expensive borrowing – GSE boss to government
- GOIL supports Appiatse Disaster Fund