As part of the World Poetry Day commemoration today, Ghanaian poet Kwame Agyeman Berko has put together a poem to celebrate the late Ghanaian footballer Christian Atsu who died in last month’s earthquake in Turkey.
The funeral for the footballer was held on Friday, March 17, 2023.
Read Kwame Agyemang Berko’s poem titled ‘You’re Home, Rest Easy’ below:
Your death was not by any grace.
And so we could not brace
Ourselves for the phrase
“Rest In Peace” in our tributes of praise.
Your being slayed under the Turkish pile
Would not let us tone down on your fetish
Of feeding multitudes with more than fish.
For this has been served too cold like the proverbial dish.
We might be on an intense whine,
Like you are our spine.
Truth is, until this fatal crossed line,
Even you did not know you was a spine.
But now we know it all.
Too bad we bask in it after your fall.
Short in life, you stood frighteningly tall.
And not because you just played ball.
Our national flag won’t fly at half mast.
Because, the clowns don’t know past
What rests in between their ears.
But you are a black star today and forever years!
You are back home, rest easy.
You are back home, and we feel dizzy.
You are back home, and it’s not been easy.
By: Kwame Agyemang Berko
- M.anifest joins father to celebrate his grandmother’s 98th birthday
- Supreme Court dismisses case against regulation of plant breeders
- Doctor fired for prescribing ice cream and video games to child with sore throat
- I’m sad presidency is at the forefront of doing unconstitutional things – Domelevo on Supreme Court ruling
- Archbishop Agyinasare’s comment can trigger security and peace instability – Security analyst
- Some OMCs start increasing fuel prices; Goil selling a litre of petrol, diesel for ¢12.45
- Supreme Court ruling comes as a very big birthday present to me – Domelevo
- AngloGold incident: 79 illegal miners out of underground mine
- Barker-Vormawor refuses to state his plea as he is slapped with fresh Treason charges
- WAFU B Women’s U20 Cup: Ghana seal final spot with comeback win over Burkina Faso
- Adom FM launches ‘Sɛdeɛ Yɛka No Nie’ to promote accurate use of Akan language
- Ghanaians must protect gains made under constitutional rule – NCCE Director
- Adom FM launches ‘Dad Too Can Cook’ event ahead of Father’s Day celebration
- SIM card deactivation: Affected persons have the opportunity to re-register – Ken Ashigbey
- Music royalties at risk as GHAMRO’s operating license is withheld
- Moses OK opens up his music journey
- You’ll have access to your MoMo after restoration – Ken Ashigbey assures ‘blocked’ mobile users
- We’ve received over ¢119m in 3 years from Common Fund – NYA provides partial information to JoySports
- Rejoinder: Supreme Court dismisses land ownership claim by Teshie family
- Former DCE of Akatsi passes on
- Ghana defender Patric Pfeiffer signs for Augsburg until 2027
- Let’s work together for peace in Bawku – VP Bawumia
- SIM card deactivation: Affected persons throng service centres to secure cards
- How changes in the small-scale mining sector are impacting the environment
- Deputy Finance Minister pleads with Pensioner Bondholders to suspend picketing