Audio By Carbonatix
AngloGold Ashanti says 79 of the illegal miners who invaded their Obuasi Gold mine in the Ashanti Region have given themselves up for arrest.
The miners came out of the underground tunnel on their own volition on Tuesday evening.
In a statement signed by the Managing Director of the mine, Eric Asubonteng, the company said no illegal miner was injured.
“The individuals, who had entered the underground area without authorisation, walked out of the mine through the main exit point on their own accord and are in the custody of the Ghana Police Service. No injuries were reported,” the May 31 release read.

The release thanked the Police Service and the public for a collaborative effort to ensure the safety of the miners.
The release encouraged the remaining illegal miners to emulate the example of the rest and use the designated exit any time of the day.
“It is important to reiterate that the main exit ramp from the mine, which is remote from the currently active working areas of the mine, remains open allowing any unauthorised persons underground to exit at any time. Those who may still be underground are strongly encouraged to utilise the designated exit points, where public security personnel remain on standby,” the release added.
Again, the statement assured the general public of AngloGold Ashanti’s commitment to ensuring the safety and security of employees, members of the community, and the trapped miners.
On May 30, about 52 illegal miners were arrested for unlawfully entering the mining shaft belonging to AngloGold Ashanti.
The number forms part of those who willingly came out of the mine and handed themselves to the police.
This follows reports that about 300 illegal miners had been trapped in one of the shafts at Anwiam in the Obuasi East District of the Ashanti Region.
Latest Stories
-
Killing of Guinea-Bissau rapper sends opposition underground
6 minutes -
China launches biggest ever auto recall campaign over door handle safety
6 minutes -
Tankers stack up as Venezuela sells oil faster than its ports can handle
6 minutes -
Military dismisses probe claims against Former CDS Oppong-Peprah as ‘malicious’
13 minutes -
Air pollution from pesticides linked to farmers respiratory illness
19 minutes -
SIC Insurance PLC declares 10.22 pesewas dividend as 2025 profit surges to GH¢84m
33 minutes -
Please, just sell me the sponge
36 minutes -
Rosenberg: Shortage of petrol but not patriotism as Russians feel growing impact of war
39 minutes -
EduSpots launches digital champions programme to accelerate digital learning across 52 communities
39 minutes -
Breast cancer campaign takes a new turn as advocates focus on what happens after screening
42 minutes -
Interior Minister directs IGP to crack down on illegal private security forces
43 minutes -
Government wants youth input to help shape policies – Youth Development Minister
44 minutes -
Miss Tourism Ghana princesses showcase culture at regional costume and talent night
45 minutes -
Police arrest suspect over GH¢430,000 robbery at Buipe cattle market
46 minutes -
24-hour economy to drive jobs through production
47 minutes