Audio By Carbonatix
Lawyer and Senior Vice President of IMANI-Africa, Kofi Bentil, has expressed reservations over the sheer number of charges filed against former Finance Minister Ken Ofori‑Atta and his co‑accused.
Mr Bentil, speaking on Newsfile on Saturday, December 20, while discussing the case, described the filing of 78 separate criminal charges as inappropriate.
According to him, no seasoned prosecutor would pursue such a voluminous indictment, arguing that it could imperil the smooth progression of the trial and the integrity of the eventual verdict.
"Any prosecutor involved in a serious case who put up 78 charges is not serious because you and I know how long it takes to prove them, to trial each of them."
He argued, "In a matter like this, when you have a very laser focus on one person, and you dump all these people in, and you don't focus, and you bring 78 charges against the person, you are not serious. Because if you are serious, you will know that these plenty things (charges), fewer than ten are going to hook him."
The OSP initiated the comprehensive indictment earlier this year, alleging a pattern of criminal conduct in the controversial dealings between the Government of Ghana and Strategic Mobilisation Limited (SML).
Mr Ofori‑Atta, alongside a cohort of business figures and former public officials, stands accused across a broad spectrum of counts ranging from corruption to breach of public trust.
While the Special Prosecutor’s office has maintained that the breadth of the charges reflects the complexity and gravity of the alleged misconduct, Mr Bentil believes the strategy may prove counter‑productive.
"These are the things we do, and then we will lose the case. Read through the charges against Ken; he will walk with most of them, and he will use that to stretch this case," he said.
"I repeat, any prosecutor who is faced with this kind of high-profile case where there is a primary focus on one person (is not serious)," he added.
Latest Stories
-
Trump says he will increase global tariffs to 15%
4 minutes -
Bogoso-Prestea mine records first gold pour after 24-month shutdown
18 minutes -
Ghana–ECOWAS talks end with renewed push for women and youth political inclusion
52 minutes -
Interior Minister receives Hudai Foundation food donation for prison inmates during Ramadan
1 hour -
UBIDS to benefit from pre-fabricated US$6.6m 1k capacity classroom project
1 hour -
Interior Minister launches Automated Fire Safety Compliance System to enhance public safety
1 hour -
Africa must lead climate intervention conversation – Experts
2 hours -
Ghana hosts high-level ECOWAS meeting to boost women and youth political participation
3 hours -
Canada looks to trade talks after US Supreme Court tosses Trump’s tariffs
3 hours -
Ghana, Burkina Faso sign 7 cooperation agreements to deepen bilateral ties
3 hours -
Duraplast supports Accra sanitation drive with donation of 20 waste bins
3 hours -
UK should send non-combat troops to Ukraine now, former PM Johnson tells BBC
3 hours -
Vice President reaffirms Ghana’s commitment to women and youth leadership at West Africa Governance Talks
3 hours -
Government considers removing Andrew from royal line of succession
3 hours -
President Mahama commissions B5 Plus Steel Manufacturing Plant, hails boost to Ghana’s industrial transformation
3 hours
