A group of suspected armed robbers last weekend attacked some mourners on a road between Mansra and Old Longoro in the Kintampo North Municipality of the Bono East Region, killing one person and injuring 16 others.
The mourners were going to bury one Kwadwo Degbi, ‘Abusuapanyin’ (family head) of the Leera royal family of Old Longoro.
Chief Inspector Augustine Kingsley Oppong, the Public Relations Officer for the Bono, Bono East and Ahafo Regional Police Command, confirmed this to the Ghana News Agency in Sunyani.
He said at the point of the incident, the mourners saw the armed robbers approaching and started shooting indiscriminately at them.
One of the mourners, Kwadwo Sulemana, aged 30, died instantly and the injured were rushed to the Kintampo Municipal Government Hospital by an on-coming vehicle.
A report was made to the Kintampo Police who proceeded to the scene and retrieved 13 cartridges but the suspected robbers had by then fled the scene, Chief Inspector Oppong said.
The Police are making efforts to arrest the perpetrators, he said and appealed to the public and residents in the Kintampo North Municipality and its environs to assist the Police with information to lead to their apprehension.
- ‘You’re yet to be confirmed’- Kyei Mensah-Bonsu tells Ato Forson in ‘clash’ over Assin North by-election
- Presidential staffer declares support for Alan Kyerematen
- We won’t withhold our approval of Chief Justice nominee – Minority backs Gertrude Torkornoo
- Midwife delivers baby in speeding commercial vehicle
- Nogokpo: ‘The energies of the land will act’ if Agyinasare defies 14-day ultimatum – Nogokpo spokesperson
- If you have God, you have everything, you lose God and lose everything –Justice Jones Dotse
- Assin North By-election: Who has the edge – An analysis
- Work as a technocrat, don’t meddle in local politics – John Jinapor tells World Bank Country rep
- NSMQ 2023: 34 schools battle it out for Regional Qualifiers in Western Region
- Our June 30th ultimatum still remains – IPPs remind government
- Karim Benzema joins Saudi champions Al-Ittihad after Real Madrid exit
- Government sends proposal on debt restructuring to official creditors
- Today’s front pages: Wednesday, June 7, 2023
- Kejetia traders call for implementation of fire recommendations by local government
- Gyakye Quayson shouldn’t have offered himself for election in the first place – Kwaku Paintsil
- Car washer, 20 jailed 18 months for unlawful entry and stealing
- Man, unemployed sentenced six years IHL for stealing
- Assin North MP case: Supreme Court veered of the real issue before them
- EC’s arguments defective in logic and betray Commission’s appreciation of elementary English – NDC
- Kumawu roads construction: Residents unhappy with pace and quality of work
- NDC’s Kwesi Amankwaa was not a registered voter in Kumawu – EC reveals in rebuttal
- Nogokpo remains the spiritual gateway to Ghana – Fiator Abgodzalu Amuzu
- Man pulls out of financing stepdaughter’s wedding because she insisted on being walked by biological dad
- Help us fight against child marriage – Volta Regional Director of Gender to stakeholders
- Fire outbreak at Bibiani College of Health leaves 186 students affected