Convener of the #FixTheCountry Movement, Oliver Barker-Vormawor says, he is willing to give up his life, in his quest to see a better Ghana.
In a Facebook post on Thursday, the leader of the social advocacy group stated that there is the need for leaders in the country to establish a new order, and therefore he’ll commit all his resources for that to happen.
Mr. Barker-Vormawor said, he is ready to face the consequences of his actions.
“So of course I know that I will eventually be arrested and likely tortured. Possibly, I may be killed. Caleb Kudah, a well known journalist, was slapped into oblivion; Ahmed Suale was killed. What more evidence do you need that if you ruffle feathers of thieves and criminals, they will come for you. So I say this as sincerely as I can be. And with all the honesty I can muster. I do not give a rats ass, what this Government does. In starting to speak up, I started to shed the fear of death, every passing day!”, he stated.
The activisit also added that, “Now, if my movements are of any interest to you, for your arrest, then know this, on the 16th of this month, I will be in Ghana. I will be attending an invitation by the Ambassador of Denmark to speak on a panel at the Danish Embassy.
Then the next day on the 17th, I will be giving a speech to the Deputy Ambassadors of all the European Embassies in Ghana. I will speak on State violence and the deterioration of the Rule of Law in Ghana. I will break the culture of silence again! Arrest me when I come! Ideas never die! The quest for freedom is eternal. We have sown an idea and it will grow as ideas do”.
Oliver Barker made these comments in a response to reactions on social media, following an earlier post he made on February 9.
On February 9, he wrote on Facebook as follows, “If this E-Levy passes after this cake bullshit, I will do the coup myself. Useless Army!”.
Following this post, some of his audience urged him to pull down the ‘coup’ comment to prevent an arrest. According to his concerned followers, the comment appears treasonable, and therefore the activist may be invited by the relevant security agencies for interrogation.
In response to this, Oliver Barker acknowledged that he has received tons of cautions from well-meaning citizens on social media. He however stated he will not back down on his resolve to speaking against the ills in society.
“I have had several friends reach out to say ‘Be careful oo. This Government is vindictive’. Today, I have received calls from certain people who found themselves in circles of party and government officials promising that at the first opportunity they will arrest me. That they will deal with me in such a way that; when I leave Ghana, I will never talk of Ghana ever again.
Now let me say this. As clear as I can be. If any single person thinks I do not know that the modus operandi of an illegitimate democracy is to arrest and torture activists, you must not have understood anything I have said or written so far. Our sense of urgency isn’t based on naïveté. We know what and who we are dealing with. We know who; and what we are dealing with, when we ask for more for ourselves and our families”, he wrote.
He further stated that, “Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard. It seems to me most strange that men should fear; seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come”.
Mr. Barker also told his followers not to run any campaign for his freedom, in case he is arrested upon his return to Ghana.
“Now, to those whose sense of justice and fairness has been awakened by my voice. Hear this. If I am ever arrested by the regime security or their affiliates, I beg this of you. Do not trend any hashtags, calling for them to release me. To do that will be legitimizing their violence and their false justice system.
Do not demand that I be released. I promise that I will not even demand that a writ of Habeas Corpus be filed for me. Do something else instead. Call for the end of the False Republic. Call for the end of a political system that has impoverished and made your lives meaningless. Call for the end of the Old Ghana. Because for the New Ghana to be built. The old one must first give way!”, he concluded.
Meanwhile, a section of the populace have condemned his posture and accused him of acting irresponsibly. Others have however hailed his ‘bravery’ and urged him to continue with his advocacies for a better society.
- “We shall also be blessed with Ghana Miracle” – Finance Minister speaks on economy recovery
- GFA suspends 2022/23 Ghana Premier League over court injunction
- Disregard statement declaring Friday, Sept 30 as a holiday – Oyibi Divisional Council
- ‘Impugning the motives of Judges is actually undermining integrity of Judiciary’ – Judges and Magistrates Association
- UTAG, 3 other university labour unions threaten to go on strike on October 5
- GFA suspends AshantiGold SC for dealing with banned club president and son
- Ghana will transition from fossil fuel to renewable energy by 2070 – Bawumia
- Step aside, find out if agency obtained right to use Ayat’s content – Copyright Attorney tells GTA, Tourism Ministry
- Nord Stream: Sweden finds new leak in Russian gas pipeline
- GTA boss names agency in copyright feud with Kirani Ayat, reveals how footage was obtained
- R. Kelly to pay $300,000 to victim in sex crimes
- International Day of Awareness of Food Loss and Waste 2022 – “Stop food waste for the people and the planet”
- QLAC MD is new President of Association of Insurers and Reinsurers
- 11 takeaways from GFA decision to suspend ongoing Premier League season
- We will still be a prime supplier of Mercedes-Benz services in Ghana – Silver Star
- Ghana to transition from fossil to renewable energy by 2070 – Bawumia
- Cedi registers unprecedented weekly decline in trading against dollar as demand surges
- EJF releases film on net free seas project
- Full text: Ursula Owusu-Ekuful’s speech at 2022 ITU conference
- CBG commissions ultra-modern SME centre at Kokomlemle, relocates Trade Fair branch to Ultimate Height Building in La
- Ghana reaffirms commitment to strategic direction set by ITU to ensure universal connectivity
- Fuse ODG also cites GTA for unauthorised use of his content
- Floods kill one at Anwomaso-Bebre in Ashanti Region
- Cal Asset Management introduces 2 new investment products
- Podcast: Explaining the genesis and effects of GFA suspension of the betPawa Premier League