Audio By Carbonatix
Ezra Blount, the 9-year-old boy who was placed in a medically induced coma after being injured at Travis Scott's Astroworld Festival in Houston, died Sunday, Houston's Mayor Sylvester Turner confirmed in a tweet.
He is the 10th person to die from injuries related to the Nov. 5 concert.
Ezra was the youngest person to die in connection to the music festival, where a large crowd surge pushed toward the stage as Scott performed, packing people so tightly together they couldn’t breathe.
"I am saddened to learn of Ezra’s death this evening," Turner wrote. "Our city tonight prays for his mom, dad, grandparents, other family members and classmates at this time. They will need all of our support in the months and years to come. May God give them strength."
Ezra's heart, lungs and brain were injured in the melee and he was taken to a Houston hospital and placed in an induced coma, his grandfather, Bernon Blount, said. Ezra and his father, Treston Blount, "came from out of town" to attend the concert and spend some quality time together, Bernon Blount said last week.
"They were expecting to come and have a good time with each other, bond as father and son, and it turned into a tragic event because of the negligence of others," Bernon Blount told the Associated Press.
Treston Blount told ABC 13 last week that his son was a big Travis Scott fan.
"He was so stoked. He was ready to go," he said.
A GoFundMe fundraiser started by Treston Blount says the family is "certain that he was trampled" at the concert.
"I began to be crushed until I couldn’t breathe," Treston Blount wrote on the donation site. "And I woke up and my son was gone."
Ezra's grandmother, Tericia Blount, told the Houston Chronicle the 9-year-old was “a very bright star.” He loved skateboarding, had big dimples and an ability to sing “like an angel,” she said.
“We want people to send us prayers, and we want people to be aware that there were a lot of people and babies who are injured,” she said. “(We want) people to be more protected and for this not to ever happen again — not to anyone.”
The Blount family hired a team of lawyers, including Ben Crump, to file a lawsuit on behalf of Treston Blount against Scoremore Mgmt, Live Nation Entertainment, Scott and others.
“The Blount family tonight is grieving the incomprehensible loss of their precious young son," Crump wrote in a statement Sunday. "This should not have been the outcome of taking their son to a concert, what should have been a joyful celebration. Ezra’s death is absolutely heartbreaking. We are committed to seeking answers and justice for the Blount family. But tonight we stand in solidarity with the family, in grief, and in prayer.”
The other nine victims ranged in age from 14 to 27. Roughly 55,000 people attended the concert.
Latest Stories
-
Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo
25 minutes -
US Secret Service investigates reports of shots near White House
30 minutes -
ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
39 minutes -
‘Owadiah’ makes history: William Opare becomes first Ghanaian to break 45 seconds in 400m
45 minutes -
Scottish woman ‘was on a mission’ to find out who her Ghanaian husband was. Then she died
46 minutes -
Four Ada SHS students arrested after viral cutlass threat video sparks alarm
46 minutes -
Christopher Bonsu Baah win Staff Player of the Year award in debut season with Al Qadsiah
2 hours -
Laryea Kingston’s Uganda beat Ghana 8-7 on penalties to secure U-17 World Cup spot and extend Black Starlets’ absence to nine years
2 hours -
FIFA U17 World Cup playoffs: Uganda beat Black Starlets on penalties to qualify
2 hours -
2026 U17 WWCQ: Goalfest in Accra as Black Maidens hit Liberia for six
2 hours -
AyaSol initiative launched to support youth-led solar businesses in Ghana
3 hours -
Photos: e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soirée on AI-driven cyber threats
3 hours -
World Corporate Golf Challenge Ghana officially launches 2026 season
3 hours -
Prof Gyampo Writes: Democracy, free speech and the survival of the Ghanaian polity
4 hours -
Nestlé Ghana, ECOM Ghana hand over 6-unit classroom block to Adarkwa Methodist Primary School
4 hours