The Bono Regional Secretary of Tax Justice Coalition Ghana, Simon Asore, has admonished Audit Committee Members of Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies (MMDAs) across the country to make available their financial management expertise at the local level in order to eradicate financial irregularities.
“You, the Audit Committee Members are expected to help check irregularities being recorded by the Public Account Committee and you have no excuse if the system failed,” he stressed.
Mr Asore further advised the members to remain objective, especially in ensuring implementation of the directives from the Public Account Committee by the individual assemblies.
He entreated the Audit Committee Members to get up to speed with the necessary by-laws and documentations on their respective assemblies while performing their professional duties.
He said the Audit Committees exists to ensure that the right things regarding public finances are done and so urged them not to treat cases lightly adding “do not allow people to steal funds at the assemblies and later turn it into advances to be paid later.”
“As Audit Committee Members, just remain vigilant on the prudent utilisation of financial resources by the assemblies,” Mr. Asore urged.
The passage of the Public Financial Management (PFM) Act 2016, (Act 921) has abolished the Audit Report Implementation Committee (ARIC) and replaced it with an Audit Committee with representation from professional bodies such as the Institute of Chartered Accountants.
The new PFM Act was as a result of the follow up from the Ghana Integrated Financial Management Information Systems project and other reforms to address weaknesses especially in the fiscal policy formulation, budgeting, commitment control, debt management, transparency and accountability among others.
- Scores of residents displaced, others trapped as Weija, Oblogo and Tetegu flood
- In pictures: Hundreds rendered homeless at Ashalaja
- Mankessim murder: We didn’t commit crime with mason; he only dug hole for burying a victim – Chief
- Watch Daddy Lumba break down his hit song ‘Yene Wo Sere Kwa’
- ‘I have unfinished business with Black Stars’ – Milovan Rajevac
- While others mocked me, Seidu Agongo offered to help – Kofi Amoabeng
- Pay compensation to affected customers – PURC orders ECG
- Joy News’ Joojo Cobbinah, NGO sue government over River Offin menstruation taboo
- Capt Ibrahim Traoré: From shy schoolboy to military ruler
- Cop fires gun and assaults civilians at Kaneshie Bishop
- Man allegedly sodomised 13-year-old daughter granted ¢100k bail
- BoG delayed in increasing policy rate – World Bank
- Flight attendant charged with stealing $8k bracelet
- Mahama to address CEO Summit at Liberty University in Virginia
- Twitter confirms it intends to close deal with Elon Musk
- Child Rights International places ¢10k bounty on head of man flogging toddler in viral video
- Uganda confirms death of another medic from Ebola
- ‘Suck a breast within October’ – Health expert advises men
- The real reason men cheat is sadder than expected
- If DVLA doesn’t reduce charges, fares will be increased by 30% – GPRTU warns
- Liberia arrests 3, seizes $100m cocaine haul
- World Bank cuts Ghana’s growth rate to 3.5% in 2022
- IMF negotiations: Government must work with greater alacrity – Mahama
- Akufo-Addo to meet House of Chiefs, MMDCEs today over galamsey menace
- E-levy: GRA blames charging entities for wrongful deductions