Audio By Carbonatix
Australia has accused a Chinese military aircraft of releasing flares "in close proximity" to its patrol jet over the South China Sea.
The Australian government has raised its concern with Beijing over the "unsafe and unprofessional" manoeuvre, the defence department said in a statement on Monday.
There was no damage to Australia's P-8A aircraft and its personnel were unharmed after Sunday's encounter.
A Chinese military spokesperson said the Australian jet "illegally intruded" into China's airspace and had to be expelled.
The Australian aircraft's actions "seriously infringed upon China's sovereignty", Senior Colonel Li Jianjian, spokesperson for China's Southern Theater Command Air Force said, urging Canberra to "immediately cease its infringing and provocative actions".
Australia Defence Force said it expects all countries, including China, to operate their militaries in a safe and professional manner.
This is the latest in a string of encounters between the two countries' militaries in the region, where China's vast claims over islands and outcrops overlap with those of its neighbours.
Sunday's incident also occurred as Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese was heading to the US for a meeting with President Donald Trump, where the two leaders are expected to discuss the Aukus - a multi-billion dollar submarine deal between Australia, the US and the UK.
Australia has also accused a Chinese jet of dropping flares near an Australian plane in the area in February. China at that time said the Australian jet had intentionally intruded into its airspace and that its response was "lawful and restrained".
While it has no claims to the South China Sea, Australia has aligned itself close to the US and its allies in saying that China's assertions have no legal basis.
In May last year, Australia accused a Chinese fighter plane of dropping flares close to an Australian navy helicopter that was part of a UN Security Council mission on the Yellow Sea off the Korean coastline.
In November 2023, Canberra accused Beijing's navy of using sonar pulses in international waters off Japan, which resulted in injuries to Australian divers.
Latest Stories
-
Vaccine breakthrough stops cancer returning in trial
3 hours -
‘I was born in South Africa’, says beauty queen Chidimma Adetshina facing legal bid to deport her
3 hours -
Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to UK
3 hours -
Ghana’s output expansion largely driven by labour, capital rather than innovation – Opoku-Afari
3 hours -
Ghana is ready for nuclear power adoption – Gov’t affirmsÂ
3 hours -
GJA@77: Media-government partnership vital to Ghana’s democracy – Shamima Muslim
3 hours -
LUV FM High School Debate: Opoku Ware and St. Hubert Seminary book quarterfinal spots
4 hours -
Stronger research, industry linkages needed to build a competitive digital economy – Deloitte Technology Senior Manager
4 hours -
Economy experience high but unbalanced growth from mid-2000 to 2022 debt crisis – Former 1st Deputy Governor
4 hours -
Tell Your Story: Political, business and industry leaders to share journey with young Ghanaians
4 hours -
‘Gold cannot save you at 2am’ – Obuobia Darko challenges mining giants to invest in healthcare
4 hours -
Wontumi’s incarceration will not stop his chairmanship bid – Palgrave
4 hours -
Eurobond borrowings over 2007-2021 used for budget financing; Ghana borrowed US$15.59bn – Opoku-Afari
4 hours -
Newborn baby found in dustbin at Kasoa Main Station toilet
4 hours -
Ghanaian skincare brand KAEME wins DHL ESG Excellence Exporter of the Year award
5 hours