Audio By Carbonatix
Australia is investigating whether a blood clotting case recorded on Friday is related to the AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine, a health official said, raising concern in a nation where most people are expected to receive the drugmaker’s shot.
A 44-year-old man was admitted to a Melbourne hospital with clotting days after receiving the AstraZeneca vaccine, suffering serious thrombosis and a low count of platelets, or blood cells that stop bleeding.
“Investigators have not at this time confirmed a causal link with the Covid-19 AstraZeneca vaccine, but investigations are ongoing,” the deputy chief medical officer, Michael Kidd, told a televised briefing.
More was expected to be known on Saturday, he added.
On Thursday, Britain identified 30 cases of rare blood clot events following use of the vaccine, and several nations, including Canada, France, Germany and Spain, limited its use after similar reports.
Australian regulator the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has said previously the AstraZeneca vaccine was not tied to an increase in overall risk of blood clots, however.
In a statement on Friday, the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation said, “There is not a higher overall rate of relatively common types of blood clots reported after Covid-19 vaccination.”
Australia launched mass vaccinations for its 25 million people in February, with most expected to receive the University of Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine. In late March, CSL Ltd began domestic production of 50 million doses.
Australia has been highly successful in curbing the virus with snap lockdowns, border closures and swift tracking, reporting just under 29,300 infections and 909 deaths. It has had troubles rolling out its vaccination program, however, missing a March target by about 3.3 million doses as states and the federal government bickered over the blame.
Vaccination supplies in the northeastern state of Queensland will end within days, health officials said on Friday, adding that they were uncertain about the next delivery.
Latest Stories
-
GoldBod to introduce gold traceability system by end of 2026 – Sammy Gyamfi
3 minutes -
Photos: Eleventh batch of Ghanaian evacuees arrive from South Africa
4 minutes -
GETFund explains mandate as EFPI expands partnerships to support Ghana’s education sector
9 minutes -
US$4.8bn SME financing gap exposes Ghana’s credit challenge — A call for swift implementation of open banking, open finance reforms
12 minutes -
Ghana is open to responsible mining, investment – Minerals Commission
18 minutes -
Driver busted with cocaine at Accra International Airport
20 minutes -
GoldBod to launch digital gold platform for Ghanaians, Africans
26 minutes -
NPP will reinstate Torkornoo when we return to power – Afenyo-Markin hints
28 minutes -
We’ll establish a Gold Village in Accra next year – Sammy Gyamfi
29 minutes -
Many Canadians are boycotting the US, so this is where they’re travelling instead
33 minutes -
Mining communities must be treated as development partners and economy shareholders – Sammy Gyamfi
38 minutes -
Nearly 9 metric tonnes gold refined locally this year – Sammy Gyamfi
39 minutes -
The world’s best countries for expats in 2026
43 minutes -
Social clubs must become engines of national development – Ace Anan Ankomah
45 minutes -
Harvard appoints former BoG Governor Ernest Addison as senior research fellow
46 minutes