The Majority Chief Whip, Frank Annoh-Dompreh, has observed that the seeming lack of interest in the affairs of Africa by Europe paved the way for Russia and China to increase their economic influence in the Region.
According to him, the socialist countries only take interest in the continent when the Western World, whom he describes as natural allies of Africa, decides to sit on the fence.
The Nsawam-Adoagyiri lawmaker made these assertions at the German-African Conference of Parliamentarians 2022, themed, “Africa and Europe in the Age of a New Geopolitical Rivalry and How to Improve the Bilateral Cooperation.”
“Right from the days of civilization, our first point of call was to gravitate towards the liberals. So Europe particularly, Western Europe was going to be the point that we [Africa] identify with. But I think somewhere in history, our natural partners, which is the Western World became passive in the geopolitics of the world, especially in your relations to Africa.
“So some ‘bad boys’ came to take over. And that has always been the impression; anytime the Western world goes quite in their relation in the scheme of things in any part of Africa, Russia and China take over,” he said.
Mr Annoh-Dompreh further noted that the intrusion of Russia and China causes the Western Countries to resume their partnership with African countries.
A situation, he describes as disquieting.
“China takes over and they are building airports and huge infrastructures that we’ve never seen before and all of a sudden, our natural allies [Western World] will come,” he said.
The 2022 German-African Conference of Parliamentarians was held in Berlin, Germany from May 09 —10, 2022.
In light of the new EU-Africa strategy adopted in February 2022, it was an important year for the Euro-African Parliamentarian Dialogue.
By 2030, the EU plans to invest €150 billion from public and private funds in Africa. Europe aims to become Africa’s “strongest partner”.
Thus, Representatives from across the African continent and Europe were in attendance.
- Is IMANI now dictating to us how to run a country? – Gabby Otchere-Darko fumes
- SOEs who fail to present audited financial accounts to be sanctioned – Bawumia
- Ghanaians will soon praise us for going to IMF – Dr Afriyie Akoto
- As it happened: Kotoko dominates as Djiku wins Player of the Year award at Ghana Football Awards
- Ghana will be ungovernable if any IMF conditionality freezes wage increment – Prof Gyampo
- Some Hajj pilgrims demand refund after being left stranded for hours
- 2022 Ghana Football Awards: Sadio Mane wins Best African International
- Food is expensive but there can never be food shortage – Agric Minister
- Photos: Akufo-Addo, Mahama and others mourn wife of late General Akuffo, Emily Akuffo
- Samson’s Take: This will collapse a government in a serious country II
Throw out Deloitte’s factually deficient claims – Dram Oil to High Court
‘Mahama stuck by Seth Terkper’ – Gabby Otchere-Darko defends Ofori-Atta amid resignation calls
2022 Ghana Football Awards: Full list of winners
Some have made it their life mission to frustrate me – Barker-Vormawor
Some Hajj pilgrims demand refund after being left stranded for hours
IMF bailout will take pressure off Akufo-Addo to focus on positive things – Gabby Otchere-Darko
Photos: Akufo-Addo, Mahama and others mourn wife of late General Akuffo, Emily Akuffo
Amanda Ofori is out with a new single titled ‘Abba’
Adele: Emotion and simplicity are enough at comeback Hyde Park gig
Ghana will be ungovernable if any IMF conditionality freezes wage increment – Prof Gyampo
Samson’s Take: This will collapse a government in a serious country II
Manchester United: Cristiano Ronaldo wants to leave club this summer
Rafael Nadal apologises after Wimbledon third-round win ends on testy note
2022 Ghana Football Awards: Sadio Mane wins Best African International
Volta Division 2 Middle League: Rangers FC head into final