The Nigerian agency that investigates financial crimes has arrested a branch manager of a commercial bank in the capital, Abuja, for allegedly refusing to load ATMs with cash despite having the redesigned banknotes in the vaults.
The country recently redesigned its currency, but the changeover has not gone according to plan as there are not enough of the new notes to go around.
This has sparked anger and led to spontaneous protests at banks. The deadline for use of old banknotes is on Friday.
On Monday, officers from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) stormed the bank and whisked away the operations manager for questioning.
It said the bank had 29 million Naira ($63,000; £52,000) of the new banknotes in its vaults – which officers ordered to be loaded on ATMs.
It’s unclear if the arrested bank manager has commented on the accusation, but the commission said some banks were “sabotaging government’s monetary policy”.
EFCC Arrests Operations Manager of a Commercial Bank for Hoarding New Naira Notes in Abuja— EFCC Nigeria (@officialEFCC) February 7, 2023
An Operations Manager of a leading Commercial bank in Abuja Central Area was today, February 6, 2023, arrested by operatives of the Economic and Financial Commission, EFCC,… pic.twitter.com/nP2rbgNTOc
- Mohammed Kudus not eligible to play at 2023 U-23 AFCON
- Fuel prices to fall between 2% and 9% from April 1
- MP dies after hit-and-run motorcycle crash
- Social media reacts to Bagbin’s rant on Kamala Harris and Akufo-Addo’s LGBTQ+ comments
- The stories of slavery must be told – US Vice President after visiting Cape Coast Castle
- Ernest Kobeah pulls out of NDC flagbearership race
- Parliament decriminalises attempted suicide
- Ghanaian achieves outstanding results in global Finance and Accounting exam
- Take care of yourself, you would be replaced when you die – Speaker to MPs
- #NanaAt79 trends as Ghanaians celebrate Akufo-Addo on his birthday
- Leila Djansi’s mentee in UNESCO/Netflix project releases movie
- Nana Ansah Kwao IV apologises to Ghanaian youth
- Kelvyn Boy endorses Joy Prime’s Cues & Lyrics music reality show
- Playback: PM Express discuss whether US is interfering in the passage of anti-LGBTQI bill
- No individual can take credit for NPP government projects – Kpando MCE
- Akan chiefs wield authority, not power – Ansah Kwao IV
- My lost hand became my motivation – First youngest Ghanaian Pure Math Professor
- And LPG flames its furnaces; the most potent third force?
- Education Ministry assures to fix all SHS infrastructural challenges
- I’ll be retiring from stand-up comedy in 5 years – Basketmouth
- Criminalising attempted suicide does more harm to society than good – Bernard Ahiafor
- Here is why Ghana’s plan to push ‘pedal power’ appears doomed to failure
- Ghanaian youth entering into entrepreneurial roles commendable – CARDIFF ANALYTICA CEO
- MTN Ghana cut digital sod for ICT hub construction
- Parliament’s Education Committee to investigate UG’s refusal to reinstate Commonwealth Hall residents