Audio By Carbonatix
The Head of Banking Supervision at the Bank of Ghana (BoG) says though the banking sector cleanup can be said to be over, the banking reforms are not over yet.
Mr Osei Gyasi said, “The cleanup is over but that does not mean that we are going to relax."
Speaking at the third edition of the JoyBusiness Financial Services Forum in Accra on Tuesday, Mr Osei Gyasi said, there are clearly defined framework for the licensing of banks as a means of ensuring that unqualified institutions do not get licensed.
He said, "We have various control levels: we have people who initiate the transactions and another person who has to check to ensure that before we issue with the license we have ticked all the boxes...”
He added, “Everybody knows the kind of wind that is blowing and we have come to the conclusion that what happened in the past should not be carried into the future.”
The Governor of the Bank of Ghana, Dr Ernest Addison has said the banking sector reforms that begun some two years ago has been completed.
Speaking at a press conference on the banking sector reforms on January 4, 2019, Dr Addison said the number of banks in the country has now reduced from 36 to 23.
He said 16 banks – Ecobank, Zenith, GCB, Standard Chartered, Stanbic, Fidelity, UBA, Barclays, Access, Consolidated, CAL, FBN, Republic, Societe General, GT Bank and the Bank of Africa – have so far met the minimum capital requirement as at December 31, 2018.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Mamprugu king accuses security agencies of abuse, demands justice over death of Mamprusi youth
11 minutes -
Ghana has not exited IMF, PCI is a new three-year deal – Oppong Nkrumah
16 minutes -
Health Ministry issues Ebola alert after WHO declares global public health emergency
34 minutes -
Asiedu Nketia enskinned as Kashentengwura in Bole
39 minutes -
Ghana secures $40m diaspora investment fund as entry point for Africa growth push in Atlanta Dialogue
40 minutes -
Abronye DC case: Detention doesn’t take away right to healthcare – Martin Kpebu
43 minutes -
German-born Ghanaian youngster Jason Osei-Tutu joins Greuther FĂĽrth ahead of 2026/27 season
56 minutes -
Health Ministry opens admissions for 2026/2027 public health training institutions
1 hour -
Mobile Money Advocacy Group commends IGP for intensified fight against crime
1 hour -
BOSAG, Gov’t aligns to scale Ghana’s BPO & GBS sector and create 100,000 jobs
1 hour -
Rent Control orders hostel owners to suspend proposed 2026/2027 fee increments
2 hours -
Southampton expelled from Championship play-offs for spying
2 hours -
Dr. Apaak cuts sod for construction of 24-Hour Economy Market in Fumbisi
2 hours -
Disadvantages will not stop Builsa South development – Dr Apaak
2 hours -
Tecco Mensah writes: Misinformation is an existential threat
2 hours