Audio By Carbonatix
Editor-in-Chief of The New Crusading Guide newspaper has cast doubts on accusations of bribery to the tune of $5 million levelled against the Chief Justice, Kwesi Anin-Yeboah.
Abdul Malik Kweku Baako sees that assertion by a lawyer, Akwasi Afrifa, as a "useless and malicious" venture that will amount to nothing in the end.
"I am telling you that I don’t believe an iota of what he has put out there. I don’t believe it," he told JoyNews.
The Kumasi-based lawyer made the allegation in a letter circulating on social media.
The letter was a response to an invitation by the General Legal Council for him to appear before it, in relation to a petition by his former client, Ogyeedom Obranu Kwesi Atta IV, for failing to pay an amount of $75,000 he (Akwasi Afrifa, Esq) owes the latter.
Akwasi Afrifa alleged that his former client, Ogyeedom Obranu Kwesi Atta IV informed him that Chief Justice Kwesi Annin-Yeboah, “demanded a bribe of $5,000,000 for a successful outcome of his case and that he had already paid $500,000 to the Chief Justice.”
But the Justice Kwesi Anin-Yeboah has dismissed these claims and subsequently referred the matter to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service.
Speaking on Joy News' Newsfile on Saturday, Mr Baako insisted that the development is a useless venture and has only been given the current attention by the Chief Justice because of the Integrity of his office.
"Because of the high office the CJ holds, that is why he has decided that look, let the CID, General Legal Council and others do something about it. He doesn’t want to leave it out there handing is that there will be speculation on his integrity," he told Samson Anyenini on Saturday.
His sentiments were shared by IMANI Africa Vice President, Kofi Bentil who believes the allegations are mere fabrications and should be treated with the contempt that it deserves.
The National Democratic Congress (NDC), at a press conference on July 13, demanded that Justice Kwesi Anin-Yeboah steps aside temporarily, following the allegation.
But Chief policy analyst at the Ghana Institute of Public Policy Options, Charles Wereko-Brobby, believes such calls are merely political capital that must be dismissed.
"If the chief had come out to say that the CJ demanded the said amount from him, or he was made to pay the said amount, then this matter would have demanded more merit, but as it is, it is hearsay, and it should be dismissed for what it is,” he added.
Latest Stories
-
NATARAJ Art competition inspires young creativity in Ghana
45 minutes -
Ebola vaccine could take nine months as death toll rises further, WHO warns
1 hour -
Money can be traced in GIIF ‘Sky Train’ case – Kow Essuman fires back at Deputy AG
1 hour -
25/26 UEFA Europa League: Unai Emery leads Aston Villa to first European trophy in 44 years
1 hour -
Southampton lose appeal against play-off expulsion
1 hour -
SkySat Technologies, Konica Minolta launch VIP Experience in Accra
2 hours -
Africa’s capital must power digital innovation and infrastructure – KGL Group Chair
2 hours -
Policy rate cuts won’t spur growth without cheaper bank loans – Economist
2 hours -
OBZ Group founder urges regulation of fuel sales in galamsey communities
2 hours -
Closure of Kaneshie footbridge forces traders, commuters to risk crossing highway daily
2 hours -
World Bank mission team pays courtesy call on Gender Minister
3 hours -
Aggrieved customers threaten fresh protests at Finance Ministry over unpaid locked up funds
3 hours -
‘Did Mahama lie his way to power?’ – Gold Coast Customers react to compensation delay
3 hours -
“We don’t have the money to pay” – Finance Minister tells financial sector victims
3 hours -
ORAL: Prosecution closes its case in Skytrain trial
3 hours