Borussia Dortmund edged to a sixth straight win as a 2-0 success at 10-man Wolfsburg maintained their title push ahead of Tuesday’s crucial showdown with Bayern Munich.
The visitors broke the deadlock when Raphael Guerreiro slotted home his third goal in two matches just past the half hour following a slick move involving Julian Brandt, Achraf Hakimi and Thorgan Hazard.
The contest was devoid of intensity in the early exchanges as the lack of atmosphere caused by playing in an empty stadium again highlighted just how much football needs its supporters.
Dortmund slowly moved through the gears after an improved second half from their hosts briefly threatened problems for the title-chasers, and substitute Jadon Sancho’s superb run and pass set up Hakimi to seal the points 12 minutes from time.
VAR then intervened to compound Wolfsburg’s misery. Felix Klaus eventually saw red for leaving his studs on Manuel Akanji as Oliver Glasner’s men’s seven-match unbeaten run came to an end.
Die Wolfe remain sixth while second-placed Dortmund move to within a point of leaders, Bayern prior to the champions’ meeting with Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday evening.
Next up, Wolfsburg travel to Bayer Leverkusen on Tuesday in a crunch clash in the battle for European places, but all eyes will undoubtedly be on Dortmund as they host Bayern in Der Klassiker.
- Taskforce destroys excavators allegedly belonging to NPP Women’s Organiser
- Fuel prices to go up again – Chamber of Petroleum Consumers Ghana
- Cameron Duodu: Sɛbe o, tafrakyɛ, na ‘Ɔte K’ɔkɔɔ Soɔ’ deɛ, yɛbɔ n’ano sɛn? – With all due respect, how can the occupant of the Golden Stool be silenced?
- 23-year-old arrested for attempting to sacrifice his nephew for money rituals
- Kokomba warriors kill human-attacking antelopes
- Mahama’s ‘dumsor’ is different from Akufo-Addo’s – Kweku Awotwi
- Armed men attack NPP Communicator
- 2nd dose of Covid-19 vaccines to be deployed from May 19 – Akufo-Addo
- Armed robbers jailed for robbing, raping pregnant woman
- Full text: Akufo-Addo’s 25th address on measures to deal with Covid-19 pandemic
NDC has done more for healthcare in Ghana than NPP – Sammy Gyamfi responds to Nana Aba Anamoah
“I’m not proud of it” – referee for Hearts v Sharks game apologises for errors
Ghanaians to re-register SIM cards in June or risk losing phone numbers
Akosombo Dam could serve Ghana for another 50 years if well maintained – Kweku Awotwi
No new Covid-19 cases in Northern Region in 3 weeks
2 dead, 3 injured and others displaced following heavy downpour in Ashanti Region
Okyeame Kwame and wife launch their first book ‘Love Locked Down’
Ter Stegen ruled out of Germany’s Euros plans with knee problem that will require surgery at Barcelona
Digital transformation will determine success of corporate Ghana post-Covid – Ernest De-Graft Egyir
Standards Authority sets standards to regulate sale of eggs
Leicester issue Chelsea apology over Daniel Amartey FA Cup actions
At least 20 cattle shot and wounded after herdsmen allegedly stab man at Abrewankor
If you don’t fix health system, outcome won’t improve irrespective of procurement you make – Asiedu Sarpong
Ongoing financial re-engineering of the power sector is positive – Kweku Awotwi
Armed robbers jailed for robbing, raping pregnant woman